dead oem turbo - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 09:35 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just cause the 2.0 doesnt have boost creep doesnt mean that everything is alrite with it. I have an 05 (along with my 07) WRX that I ran a TBE (without a tune for awhile) then I did some research. Its still WAY better and safer to have the tune than not (at least for 04 and up).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tunedx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
depends on the miles on it... he is going to get the supporting mods as well?
18g turbo is brand new. Is this a good route to go or would I be better off running a vf39 or sti turbo? He doesn't want anything to crazy. Something that has the same charactistics as oem turbo but rated for more hp and have less lag
post #18 of 22 Old 08-28-2010, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
vf39=sti turbo. And for his goals, this would be ideal. Again though, he'd need a stock sti tmic and 565 stock sti injectors to support the turbo. But these can be bought used and fairly cheaper than supporting mods for an 18g(meaning bigger than stock sti injectors and bigger than sti stock intercooler). A lot of WRX guys do this setup for their first setup.

Remember, any new setup means retuning.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #19 of 22 Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

tunedx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
A 16g is going to eat up that $1000 by itself...

Grab another stocker for $100 or $200 for the time being. The most mild upgrade point would put you above your $800 - $1000 range. That being an sti upgrade...

STi turbo...VF39 around $300
STi injectors...around $300
STi Topmount...$300
Fuel Pump...$75
Tune...$350 or AP for $450 used

You guys familiar with tuning or Accessports?
Could u point me in the right direction where I can purchase these parts. (Links or phone #'s) My buddy is getting very eager. He's looking at spending @ $1700.00 w installation. Do I need the sti hood to work w top mount intercooler? What about the 68hta turbo?
post #20 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 07:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You need the STi splitter and bellows if you run the STi top mount IC, not the hood. The 18G will have a ton of lag compared to the other referenced chargers that everyone is stating. Stay away from the HTA.... Get a used VF series and the injectors as chase instructed. It will save you headaches in the future.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #21 of 22 Old 08-31-2010, 09:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Engine/Power/Exhaust - NASIOC There you go boss. That's a great place to source parts. I'm also a huge craigslist hound, Just make sure to inspect stuff well. IF you use paypal, you'll have some protection on Nasioc too.

Add a VF39 to that list for around $300. You might luck out and find someone getting rid of a few of those things together for cheaper. As for your hood question, the splitter assembley is the thing that mates up to the top of the IC under the hood and the plastic inside the scoop that directs air, it helps seal the scoop to the IC for better airflow/cooling over the IC. So you may want an STi hoodscoop to provide the airflow that an STi would to the STi IC. Both scoop and splitter will fit into a stock WRX hood.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #22 of 22 Old 09-04-2010, 02:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunedx View Post
18g turbo is brand new. Is this a good route to go or would I be better off running a vf39 or sti turbo? He doesn't want anything to crazy. Something that has the same charactistics as oem turbo but rated for more hp and have less lag
Whose 18G?