Subaru WRX Forum banner

dead oem turbo

11K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
My buddies 04 WRX oem turbo went for shit. What do u recommend replacing it with? Price point is $800.00 - $1000.00. He plans to upgrade the exhaust also. Not looking at something to crazy that would require a tune.

Any suggestions please???

#6 ·
A 16g is going to eat up that $1000 by itself...

Grab another stocker for $100 or $200 for the time being. The most mild upgrade point would put you above your $800 - $1000 range. That being an sti upgrade...

STi turbo...VF39 around $300
STi injectors...around $300
STi Topmount...$300
Fuel Pump...$75
Tune...$350 or AP for $450 used

You guys familiar with tuning or Accessports?

#19 ·
Could u point me in the right direction where I can purchase these parts. (Links or phone #'s) My buddy is getting very eager. He's looking at spending @ $1700.00 w installation. Do I need the sti hood to work w top mount intercooler? What about the 68hta turbo?

#8 ·
Just start looking around, either on craiglists, or NASIOC.com, or you can google it see what you come up with.

BTW Chase you forgot the TBE (I know it was mentioned but thats money spent also). Not to mention a catless up pipe should be added also. I would just replace with a stock turbo and keep saving up until you have enough to really put into the car if you want to upgrade it.

#9 ·
Ya, if that car is completely stock then that $1,000 is going to disappear quickly. If he doesn't want to replace it with a stock turbo he's gonna have to increase his budget. Add an intercooler hose kit to Chase's list for STI TMIC fitment as well as an STI intercooler splitter and the STI hoodscoop needed to accommodate it.

#10 ·
i am doing a similar setup i just got a vf39 turbo for 350, bigger tmic, and i am going to buy my fuel pump/injectors from deatschwerks so that will run me about 500 with shipping, but you can ship them old injectors for 100 credit.
my accessport cost me 500 shipped used, and i already have full exhaust (ebay cheapo, $500 shipped)/catless uppipe. with this setup i will go to approx 345 hp from 230. i'm assuming for an 04 it's similar gains, but you are looking at at least 2 grand or 2500.

#11 ·
There's an 07 factory turbo from a WRX with 25k on it and no shaft play for $100 right now on Craigslist in Portland. Again, if budget issues exist, something like this would be the way to go.

#14 ·
Like Chase said, not to bad a deal. But you wont be able to run that turbo for what its worth without getting more parts to support it. And getting those parts will be out of the price range you put out.

#16 ·
Just cause the 2.0 doesnt have boost creep doesnt mean that everything is alrite with it. I have an 05 (along with my 07) WRX that I ran a TBE (without a tune for awhile) then I did some research. Its still WAY better and safer to have the tune than not (at least for 04 and up).

#18 ·
vf39=sti turbo. And for his goals, this would be ideal. Again though, he'd need a stock sti tmic and 565 stock sti injectors to support the turbo. But these can be bought used and fairly cheaper than supporting mods for an 18g(meaning bigger than stock sti injectors and bigger than sti stock intercooler). A lot of WRX guys do this setup for their first setup.

Remember, any new setup means retuning.

#20 ·
You need the STi splitter and bellows if you run the STi top mount IC, not the hood. The 18G will have a ton of lag compared to the other referenced chargers that everyone is stating. Stay away from the HTA.... Get a used VF series and the injectors as chase instructed. It will save you headaches in the future.

#21 ·
Engine/Power/Exhaust - NASIOC There you go boss. That's a great place to source parts. I'm also a huge craigslist hound, Just make sure to inspect stuff well. IF you use paypal, you'll have some protection on Nasioc too.

Add a VF39 to that list for around $300. You might luck out and find someone getting rid of a few of those things together for cheaper. As for your hood question, the splitter assembley is the thing that mates up to the top of the IC under the hood and the plastic inside the scoop that directs air, it helps seal the scoop to the IC for better airflow/cooling over the IC. So you may want an STi hoodscoop to provide the airflow that an STi would to the STi IC. Both scoop and splitter will fit into a stock WRX hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.