Subaru WRX Forum banner

cxracing top mount intercooler

11K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Chase 
#1 ·
02-06 Subaru WRX/STi Top Mount Intercooler +Y-Pipe Kit : eBay Motors (item 330394591523 end time Jan-21-10 18:58:16 PST)

has anyone dealt with this company.im looking for a upgraded top mount.i would really like to get the oem sti top mount.. but it is almost impossible to find a used one at a good price. this company also has a website if you wanna check it out..
please drop your 2 cents on this top mount. the link below is the company's website

cxracing.com: Top Mount Intercooler for 02-05 WRX STI, Overall Size:20"X11.5"X4.5",2.75"Inlet & Outlet

#2 ·
I know everyone is looking for a good deal...trust me I understand. It all comes down to one thing...you get what you pay for. That doesn't mean go out and find the most expensive intercooler but there's always a reason why it's cheaper. I can tell you this, the aluminum isn't as high quality as even factory probably, the welds are not that great, and the fins are probably not as heat transferrable as a higher quality core. It takes time and resources to make a good intercooler, that's why they are a little expensive. This probably was made pretty cheaply. If you want to give it a try, go for it. If it breaks or fails, it just means you paid 189 extra for a nicer intercooler when you replace it with a more quality piece.

#4 ·
This is FYI for anyone interested. I did my research on intercoolers before i decided to buy one for my 02 wrx. there are two styles of intercoolers i could find. the tube and fin and the bar and plate. the tube and fin from what i could find is cheaper however the bar and plate is more durrable. in regards to the cxracing they offer bar and plate for their prices. From what i've read from other people is thier product has good quality the instalation just may take some adjusting.

#5 ·
Sure, but there are still better and not so great qualities of each of the 2 types. Those ebay topmounts heatsoak like crazy, so even if they do flow ok, after 10 minutes or so, they're not doing the job they should and it's pointless to even have it. I've read quite a few accounts of people using these and thinking it was better, until they switch back to their stock TMIC and get a big change for the better, and only then they realize what a piece of crap they were running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.