Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cx racing tmic.

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
So I just got my cxracing tmic. Is there any supporting mods to go along with a bigger top mount? I've read to tune with a larger tmic but what's t the most I can get out of it? I'm also looking to get 300 whp+ n am wondering what else I can do. I got an uppipe cat back n the tmic. Looking to get a dp soon. Any input would be good. Sorry if any of this is in any other thread I don't have that much time to search everything.

#3 ·
I highly recommend selling it and getting a used STI TMIC. Those cores just aren't very efficient at all.

I would also say to find the time to research. If you don't then you will never learn anything. Contrary to what you may believe it will save you headaches and money in the long run.

#6 ·
i would say gears 1st then power. im running stage 2 street tune(cobb) with the stock tdo4 with stock oem replacement clutch with less than 60k miles on clutch,and when my tuner was street tuning me he had to lower it down due to the fact that the clutch was not holding that power. so i would need to upgrade to a stage 1... or higher clutch,but thats a big "NO NO" with the stock gears. so i know am going to save for gears then build motor. i haven't dyno my car but after the stage 2 street tune i can hang with stock sti's and thats really impressive imo on a pretty much stock 2.0 motor

#7 ·
i would say gears 1st then power. im running stage 2 street tune(cobb) with the stock tdo4 with stock oem replacement clutch with less than 60k miles on clutch,and when my tuner was street tuning me he had to lower it down due to the fact that the clutch was not holding that power. so i would need to upgrade to a stage 1... or higher clutch,but thats a big "NO NO" with the stock gears.
Can you tell us why you believe this the case? Plenty of people have used clutches harsher than "stage 1" and been fine. Whether or not his gears will hold is 80% dependent on how he drives and 20% on his setup. People have launched early '02 WRX gearsets making +350 wtq hundreds of times without breaking anything. However once you get there I would be more worried about stripping 3rd gear. OP is talking 280-300 wtq. He will only need to upgrade when he breaks what he has now.

#8 ·
from all the tranny broke/clutch question forum post ive read on here always say if you have stock gears stay with the stock clutch. plus your comment only upgrade when you break it.. ya that may be all fine if you have the cash flow just sitting in your bank not doing anything then by all means drive it till it breaks then upgrade,but thats kind of ass backwards imo. most ave people dont have "mad cash" just sitting in the bank and/or an extra car to drive while you fix your broke car. so set a goal and build towards that goal.

#9 ·
I would think that driving till it breaks would allow you to save up a few dollars just in case. If it were something resellable, like a motor I'd agree. But who's to say he would have broken em even if he hadn't replaced them? Like I said, it really depends on how he drives. The bad reputation comes from abuse and improper driving. A properly driven VF/16G setup should not break. The real gear killer is shock loading, but that's a combination of how you're making power and how you drive.

As for the clutch, you are supposed to use the minimum clutch that will hold what you need it to. That doesn't mean that anything over stock will automatically cause you to break a gear, it just means that for a stage 2 car you don't need a 4-puck clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.