Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cryogenic Intercooler Sprayer-- cooooool :)

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  REXronald 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok,

What does everybody think... i've been researching for an intercooler sprayer for my Hyperflow top mount intercooler used in TXS stage 3.

First desire was a nice manual water sprayer kit. I've been looking around and DEI appears to trump the water sprayer with a Cryogenic style intercooler mister.

www.designengineering.com

Uses a bottle of liquid CO2 (mounted much like bottle of NOS in your trunk) to mist a subzero temperature CO2 gas right onto the intercooler. Thus accomplishing a much more effective cooling of charged air than the water sprayer can... I'm all about this item and going to order it today. They will be making me a special (flat version) of the sprayer with the hose and solenoid connected flat to the sprayer bar (for clearance of the hood) for $380 (includes install kit, 10lb bottle, mister, and solenoid)... I'm psyhed to get this installed and try it out... mister is 16x5 so it should be a nice fit on top of the 19x7 intercooler surface.

I have already spoken with Phil at TurboXS, he feels it will be a worthwhile addition and suggests there should be no problem with running same boost of 17 psi and fuel timing in stage 3. Can even be setup to run with the solenoid driver on the UTEC, or just use the manual push button that the system comes with. The added cooling (or should i say "freezing") should create a denser air charge, effectively increasing horsepower and decreasing exhaust gas temps...

Can have the bottle filled any place that re-fills CO2, as used in paint pellet guns and so forth.

See less See more
#3 ·
yup yup

my thoughts exactly...

looking around,, you could easily spend $380 for a water sprayer kit (in order to do it STi style)... of course you can do-it-yourself too, for much, much less.

but i was going to go all out for the water... but after finding the CO2, i'm convinced that it is the way to go... (biggest con is the $$ to re-fill CO2 bottle... which is definitely cheaper than re-filling NOS by the way).

#5 ·
i saw that one too

pretty much the exact same thing i'm getting. The one i am going to purchase is production quality... DEI out of Avon, OH... Not knocking the quality of Intercooler techniques... just felt more comfortable going with an established corportation that is within driving distance of my home.

#7 ·
Cooooooooooollllllllllllll

real nice!

i'm getting the shivers just looking at it... ha!

now, i notice no holes on the sides... do you have the CO2 shooting straight down into the intercooler fins? or would you want some shooting into the middle of the loop so as to have the moving air (as car moves along) push cold gas down into as many fins slots as possible???

what do you think.... both would probably work best. how big a bottle of CO2? and how long does it last him... and how is your method dispensing... push button switch, or automatic at a certain boost level? any problems or issues with the system i should know about. is it street legal to carry a tank of CO2 in your trunk... and how much $$$ to fill the bottle up... and did it help with lower the EGT's at all?

thanks for posting... very cool.. i can't wait to get mine in...

#10 ·
Cosmo...

Yup about the UTEC solenoid circuit...

but Phil at TurboXS says i need a "RELAY" to drive the solenoid...

you know what he's talking about...

thinking about going with the Hobbs Boost switch for automatic on at a specified psi... $27

any thoughts?

#12 ·
why no relay

why no relay needed with water sprayer?

i'm thinking 5 prong relay... 2 prongs to the utec, right? what are each for, why need two UTEC prongs, i don't understand that?

anyways,, 2 to UTEC, 1 from 12V source to prong, another delivering 12V from prong to solenoid, and another for ground prong... that's total of 5.

seem right? still just don't know why UTEC needs solenoid driver needs 2 prongs... doesn't make sense to me... should only need 1 to deliver a signal... or is there 2 prongs to drive 2 separate solenoids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.