Corrupt ECU - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Angry Corrupt ECU

So last Thursday I stopped to get gas. When I started up the car the Cobb AP V3 had a message about the data being corrupt an needing to be restored. I clicked OK and proceeded with life. After some looking online I couldn't find anything about this. I went into the AP and all my monitors were reset and all my Maps were gone. Even the OTS ones. Now being on a SD tune if my tune was gone my car would just die from everything I have on it.

Well Saturday I reinstalled the Maps onto the AP but haven't reflashed the ECU. Yesterday I went for a drive an my AFR's were 18.3 at half throttle, misfiring all cylinders and back firing through the turbo.

Now my next move is to reload the Tune again. But has anyone seen anything like this before?

Otherwise my FPR is still stock an I just installed a walbro 450 a while back so I am thinking I might need to finish upgrading the fuel rails and FPR.

Any thoughts?

05 WRX Wagon - 409 AWHP / 334 WTQ Wicked Matt Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
tonight im going to unmarry the ECU and remarry it and reload my Map. Then I will post from there. Any thoughts is welcomed

post #3 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

ic3b3rg is an unknown
Garage
Watching this anxiously.

I'm not an expert on the APs, I don't even own one (yet) but I do work in the computer industry and see corruption happen a lot.

The one thing I'm confused about in this case is where the data is stored. Does the AP "flash" the ECU and then just monitor it after or does the data "live" on the AP itself and the ECU references it? If the corruption happened on the AP I would try to find some way to do a factory reset or contact Cobb they may be able to get you a copy of the devices OS files. Even if you reload the maps there could be something wrong with the operating system on the device causing the problem after maps are reloaded. If the data "lives" on the ECU and has become corrupted the remarry and reload will probably work. Is there any possibility of physical damage to the AP? Even just excessive heat from sun exposure or intense vibrations can wreak havoc on electronics.

You say: "Cobb AP V3 had a message about the data being corrupt an needing to be restored. I clicked OK and proceeded with life."

Did it give any other information? Did it say what would happen when you clicked ok? Any kind of error number or code? I would hope that the AP would create a backup of the factory map before flashing. I would also think that if the data on the AP were corrupted it would attempt to flash the ECU back to the backup it made of the original configuration. That would explain why you were running so lean, etc.

The first thing we need to figure out is what data got corrupted. Device OS, Device Maps, or data on the vehicle's ECU. The answer to that will determine the fix.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 04:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

RogueMantis is an unknown
Garage
You could also try updating/reinstalling(don't know if this is possible) the firmware on your AP by connecting it to APmanager and checking for updates. Don't know if you have kept it up to date or not, but if the firmware got a bit messed up, this may help.

06 WRX - Cobb Stage 2
post #5 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
corrupt data on ANY electronical decive either means its internal backup battery is dead and cannot hold memory, or the device was disconnected somehow while loading. same principle as a flash card/memory stick, or when your xbox/ps4 says "do not turn off while loading". it will cause the flash memory to be corrupted.

as to how it happened, i cant even begin to think of reasons to help lol sorry.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #6 of 11 Old 11-02-2016, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Hey guys. So I last Friday I did update the firmware on the AP after the incident. I then proceeded to reload all of the map OTS an Pro-tunes to the AP. When I plugged it back into the car it still couldn't read what was on my ECU but at the time it was still driving fine so I didn't want to mess with it.

It was 2 days later the back firing, super lean issues started. Being that I build gaming/Photoshop computers an work on a $250k Digital printing machine I have dealt with corrupt firmware and hard drives an such. But I just kept thinking How in the F### did this happen to my ECU. Is it fried? Was there a short?

I talked yesterday with my tuner and he has never heard of this issue. The only place I could find anything was on a Evo forum and there was no resolve. The initial plan last night was to unmarried AP from the ECU > marry the AP back to the ECU > Reflash Tune.

Well I am very happy to say that so far so good!

post #7 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 01:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
corrupt data on ANY electronical decive either means its internal backup battery is dead and cannot hold memory, or the device was disconnected somehow while loading. same principle as a flash card/memory stick, or when your xbox/ps4 says "do not turn off while loading". it will cause the flash memory to be corrupted.

as to how it happened, i cant even begin to think of reasons to help lol sorry.
Definitely not option A. ROMs are written into FLASH memory, there's no backup battery on the ECU board.

I recently had the honor and privilege *insert sarcastic face* of bricking my ECU during tuning in a parking lot about 30 miles from my house and had to get a tow, pull the board out, solder to it and do In Circuit Programming to restore the ECU to a working state. There's definitely no battery, and it's definitely written into FLASH.

So I'm with option 2, something got iffy during a write procedure.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Definitely not option A. ROMs are written into FLASH memory, there's no backup battery on the ECU board.

I recently had the honor and privilege *insert sarcastic face* of bricking my ECU during tuning in a parking lot about 30 miles from my house and had to get a tow, pull the board out, solder to it and do In Circuit Programming to restore the ECU to a working state. There's definitely no battery, and it's definitely written into FLASH.

So I'm with option 2, something got iffy during a write procedure.
I wasn't flashing the car. I got gas and the error came up. My car was tuned months ago and I don't change tunes as I only have 1. When you get tuned by a protuner they lock the tune so you can't modify it.

So its still a mystery. No one at Cobb has heard of this either... and THAT is crazy.

post #9 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 12:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
Shit, I somehow missed that part. .
post #10 of 11 Old 11-04-2016, 02:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Streetsahead is an unknown
That's nuts. I think I've owned 4 seperate APs, of course mine were version 1 and 2, but don't remember ever seeing this in my experience or in my time in the forums here or nasioc.

I'm interested to see where this goes.
To be clear, no actual codes from your ecu? Just messages from your ap?
post #11 of 11 Old 11-07-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
This was a message that popped up when the AP turned on right after I started my car after getting gas. I have codes but they are for the deleted Evap