Subaru WRX Forum banner

Confused on what to do

5K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
I am deffinatly interested in getting a up pipe...but idk what to do next basically I think my goal is to get around 280-300 whp from what I was told with the dyno tune I would probably come reasonably close to the 280 whp mark but im not so sure if thats correct?

In general what modifications could I do to acheive between 280-300 whp??

Current mods Cobb stage 2, New high flow air filter, Spark Plugs.

(Keep in mind I do have a pretty like limited amount of money...I am taking a guess that by september I will have approx 1,000 some odd dollars to spend.)

Also my car is Automatic, 2003 with 64,000 miles on it Idk if those specifications help or not.

#2 ·
280whp from a TD04 turbo? Think again. On a mustang dyno with a stock turbo, you'll be 200-220whp. Add another 20whp if you're on something higher reading. That's with or without the up pipe which is, again, a safety mod not a performance mod.

300whp requires a larger turbo. Many people don't even get 300whp with something like an e3-16G. The stock EJ20 puts down about 165whp remember.

#3 ·
I see, so Basically its impossible, at least with the amount of money that I can put on the table we'll in that case what do you think with 1,000 dollars I could do with my car now to push out some more horses?

(I was looking through the classifieds and I noticed some one selling a IHI VF30 Turbo for 500 dollars...now idk with my remaining 500 dollars if I would be able to do the mods necessary to enable my car to run well.)

#4 ·
A little more and you can get a 16G if you look. They are re-buildable too and internals are fairly cheap from what I found (I have been researching this). then injectors and bigger TMIC and another tune or Cobb has a 16g map to run until you get money for a protune. I would save a little more and these mods will probably be within reach. Cobb says something like 340hp at the crank on 93 octane I believe? 25% loss of power to the wheels is 255whp. That getting closer.

#5 ·
Yeah I will deff consider that and start doing some research to see whats up exactly, Do you guys have any other suggestions like lets say I wanted to steer away from a aftermarket turbo, Any other things I could do with my estimated price limit (1000) that could perhaps, if not crank out enough power to reach my goal, give me some decent/noticeable gains?

Also I think it might be less then 25% loss because when looking at the IHI VF30 Turbo it said it would put you at approx 340 hp at the crank and 270whp, Im thinking it might be more along the 20% lose of power to the wheels.

#6 ·
You're/we're limited by the stock turbo. A protune might squeeze out a few more ponies over the Cobb map, other then that, turbo is the next step up. Put that $1k into sway bars and end links and put the rest towards your 16g or a pro tune.

#8 ·
Drivetrain losses on the Subaru AWD setup are unusual high. Most RWD cars have about 17% drivetrain losses. FWD cars maybe 15%. Even AWD DSMs are generally low 20s. Subaru's system is a full equal length drive to each wheel though so you're going to see ranges of 25-30% drivetrain losses mattering on the dyno. Thus, when you see a turbo speced, it's often in reference to another car's drivetrain losses which are lower.

The usual budget option is fuel pump, sti injectors, used VF39, used STi TMIC. If you're good, you can get all that for $1000-$1500 and with your exhaust (you'd need to add an up pipe as well), you can use the cobb map for that setup.

#9 ·
I think being that I am a poor college student and my moms lack of approval of me dumping alot more money into my car my best bet is probably as follows (At least for the time being.)

-Up Pipe
-STI hood scoop ( Mostly because I love the look of it.)
-Boost gauge/Controller...I really do not know a awful lot about boost gauges or controllers or what ever but I was briefly looking at this one in particular...AEM TRU BOOST Electronic Boost Controller : BoostController.com LLC - America's Source for High quality turbo boost controllers, silicone hose, and more performance products - 877-836-6155- precision boost control. Turbosmart Warehouse Distributor
Like I Said I really don't know much about this but im assuming this is a boost gauge as it tells you how much boost you are running as well as a boost controller because its in its name so does that mean I just basically push a button on the little gauge and it can adjust the level of boost I want to be running as need be?? Also if that is the case what is the max boost I would want to run for every day driving/a race?
-Dyno Tune

#11 ·
Really?

Actaully if my math is correct I might be better off going with the v39 set up I found STI fuel pumps for 89 dollars, STI TMIC for 250, STI Injectors for 450 and a v39 going for 439 so in total thats like 1200 dollars and change

Also why would I not want to get a boost controller?

#12 ·
I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post!

#13 ·
Because your ECU already acts as a far better boost controller and can be dynamically programmed with the Cobb. Not only that but the ECU has lots of other data to adjust boost levels from to keep your motor safe and happy.

EDIT: Also, the STi hood scoop for the 02-03 model is not that much larger than the one you got on there. The large "shovel scoop" (pictured in my avatar) is designed for the 04-05 body style only. They make replicas that look like the 04-05 STi scoop but fit on the 02-03 but frankly, they look stupid. Your hood is rounded and doesn't look right with the squared off scoop.

#14 · (Edited)
ah i see...yeah I was talkn to my dad he wont let me get a turbo he said once you "get into that stuff you start running into problems" He said get the up pipe the hood scoop if you want it and the dyno tune if its worth it other wise leave it alone, but I did have a thought what about headers?? I've heard getting a good pair of headers give some pretty decent power gains?

Also if not a boost controller would it be wise to get a boost gauge or are those the same thing?

#15 ·
a boost gauge just tells you what boost you are running at and a boost controller makes it so you can adjust your boost witch also tells you what your boost is. as said before the boost controler is a bad idea as the cobb raises the boost and changes the feul curves and stuff. i would just get the uppipe for now and just do things that make your car nicer to drive as in the long run you will be happyer with them then a little more power. i would suggest emailing jason at Pricematchedparts and tell him jake horth sent you and he might give you a deal. you can also im him on aim his name on there is pricematchpart he is a great guy and gave me a good deal.

#16 ·
Well a boost gauge woudln't be bad right? like I am fairly curious to see how much boost I am actually running idk if that would be a bad idea to get one or not? Also headers? Good idea bad idea? Big gains small gains? I've heard 10% of what ever you've already got?

#18 ·
Search headers. From what I have read I dont like the headache and cost of them compared to what you would get out of them, even with an aftermarket turbo. PnP'd headers with a high flow crossover seem to do just as good and its not as expensive a set up.

As far as boost goes, if you have your AP if gives you boost, its a bling thing, nothing special, just something to watch I suppose. Most say its not even that necessary with a stg 2 setup. But thats a decision for you to truely make.

#19 ·
Yeah I know its not necessary and more or less just a bling like you said i was just curious because everyone was saying like specifically not to get a boost controller I was curious if a boost gauge was bad or something as well ### i wanted to get one to make sure i was running like the boost that I am supposed to be running.

#20 ·
If you get one, make sure its an electrical one thats all. And a boost controller is necessarily bad. You just have to be tuned for it and everything like that, just cant slap it on and go with it.

#23 ·
What is a new restrictor pill?

Also any suggestions on where I could pick up a nice boost gauge like what sites are good that sell nice looking ones with maybe a blue back light or something so i can see it at night time? as well as the like mount so that its in position with your like speedometer??

#26 ·
Check out prosportgauges.com. If you are on a budget, I have heard alot of good things about the gauges and customer service. A few of the members on here run their gauges. Or just search no google and you will be very busy sorting through all the sites that come up there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.