Confused! difference between ECU mod and Boost control? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-28-2003, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

crampers is an unknown
Question Confused! difference between ECU mod and Boost control?

Call me dumb, but I'm confused. What is a better way to get more power (without going overboard and killing your engine life/reliability), boost controller or ECU/chip? Seems to me that the chip does the same as a boost controller, plus more? Someone please explain, and say what is best. Also, what the Hell does reflashing the ECU mean?THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2003, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Zullard is more helpful than not
ECU etc.

A Reflashed ECU (when you have new data put on the ECU to account for different mods) changes internal settings like fuel, air flow, injector duty, etc., boost. You can also take a bunch of routes you just get a boost controller, or a new stand alone engine management system (only for the serious power nuts), or you can use piggy back systems like the apexi s-afc or the greddy e-manage system. These piggy back systems let you make changes and tune your car, so a piggy back system with an electronic boost controller is another way to go like getting the Greddy e-01 boost controller and the greddy e-manage unit or getting the Apexi S-AFC and the Apexi AVR-C boost controller. With these systems you don't need to reflash cause you can just retune with your electronics anytime. I am partial to using the piggyback systems, just my take.... Depends on what you have done and what you will do in the future. To me reflashing seems good if you do things in chuncks but like most people who get parts over time one by one reflashing my get annoying. Easiest thing is to just get a manual boost controller for $70-100 and run 15.5 psi, that way you will stay inexpensive and gain a good bit of power. But as I said I would get the electronics I like the Greddy duo.

Last edited by Zullard; 01-29-2003 at 12:34 AM.
#3 Old 01-29-2003, 11:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

crampers is an unknown
Cool, thanks for the info!