Cobb Stage 2 repeating CEL? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Cobb Stage 2 repeating CEL?

I have been stage 2 for about a year now (15000 miles). My set up is a turbo back exhaust and a K&N SRI (which is similiar to cobbs), and a cobb stage 2 flash via the access port. The car had been running great for a while, but ever since I took it to subaru to have them take care of that recall which replaced the fuel line for the 02 wrx it has been popping a CEL which says "engine bank 1 too lean". I assume the subaru dealer disconnected my battery cause it reverted back to stage 1 so I reflashed it back to stage 2. Ever since then I have popped and reset that same code 5 times! Any help or insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Car has about 95000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
It shouldn't revert back to Stage 1 if the dealer simply unplugged your battery. The only thing that should have changed is the temporary data (drawing a blank on the official term right now) that gets saved in your car's computer that's used to slightly adjust things based on your driving habits, but that will start to be saved again automatically.

As far as the code, have you tried cleaning your MAF sensor? Do you have your stock air intake system - if so, maybe try reinstalling that and see if your problem goes away.

John
07 WRX
post #3 of 19 Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
I don't know where I heard it but I was told if the battery was disconnected that the ecu would revert back to stock. When I got my car back my clock was off, radio stations all reset, and I was only making stock boost(I got a boost gauge) and it was noticably less power. So whatever they did they made it stock again, that I'm sure of, I even popped a code on the way home before I reflashed it stage 2. When I did reflash it stage 2 it was back to the way it was, which was running good, but about every week or so I pop that same code(bank 1 too lean). I don't have the stock intake, I use the K&N short ram intake. The thing thats strange, is it started doing this after getting it back from Subaru, I had no problems while stage 2 before the dealership. One of my buddies said I could have a blown intake valve, I sure hope not, it seems to run fine. I don't know??
post #4 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's odd.. I know after I flashed my car to Cobb's Stage 2 map using my AP, every time I disconnected my battery for a long period of time, my clock and radio stations were all reset too, but my ecu didn't revert back to a stock map. I'm guessing your car went into limp mode because of the CEL. That significantly reduces your power - it's sort of a safe-mode with low boost to protect your engine when it senses something is wrong.

I'm still willing to bet that your problem is the K&N short ram. I've read that on 02-07 models, that intake has issues because of the bend of the pipe and the position of the MAF sensor. It ends up taking incorrect readings and then tries to compensate with more or less fuel and that could be causing your lean condition. Try getting a stock intake if possible or switch to a SPT short ram and see what happens after your reset your ecu then.

Do you have any other mods besides those you listed?

John
07 WRX
post #5 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea I have thought it could be the intake, but I was running stage 2 problem free for about 6 months with that setup. I know certain intakes would cause that, but according to cobb, their short ram air is ok to run with the off the shelf stage 2 map. The K&N appears to be almost identical to that. But I guess it's possible. Full turbo back and the short ram are my only mods. I mean the car seems to run fine even with the CEL so I'm not overly concerned just a lil annoyed. However it does idle a lil funky sometimes but nothing crazy. (sometimes sounds like it might stall but never does). I guess I dont care as long as it isn't doing damage.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Cobb SRI and SPT for the 02-07 are the only intakes that run identical to the factory air box. I'd clean the MAF and maybe check/clean the K&N filter cone.

The realtime map got reset and not the reflash map. Unless your dealership flashed a ECU update map on your car. But, the reflash to stage 2 should've took you back to your original map and eliminated the ECU update. Unless the recall changed something that important in the sensors, which I doubt. Its probably your Intake, otherwise if the recall did modify the sensors that much. You might need your car protuned with the K&N. I'd just clean your set-up or change your intake. Unless, your looking forward to a protune.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #7 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Yea I'll try cleaning the intake filter (haven't done that in a while anywayz). And I have never tried cleaning the MAF, whats the best way going about doing that? It was working fine for several months with that setup and stage 2 flash so there is something going on. It's gotta be something with the intake.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
CRC MAF cleaner at a autoparts store. I can't remember what other sprays are acceptable.

Kirt
post #9 of 19 Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
The realtime map got reset and not the reflash map.
Thanks turmic, those were the terms I was looking for earlier... I always get them mixed up.

And I cleaned my MAF sensor once with (91% I think) Isopropyl alcohol... just swished it around gently in a bag, let it dry, and it looked as good as new. Mine was very noticeably dirty after about 45k miles. For those of you who haven't cleaned yours, it might be a good idea.

John
07 WRX
post #10 of 19 Old 03-25-2010, 11:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not a problem John. Josh has finallly beaten some Cobb AP info into me. lol

Kirt
post #11 of 19 Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kirt: Nice.. yeah, it would do me some good to thoroughly go through Cobb's website again. Maybe I'll retain some good info this time Can't wait to read about your build too.

Kramericaa: have you had your timing belt replaced? That's a service recommended at/around 100k. Also, have you performed all of the 90k maintenance yet? Lots of things should get replaced at that mile marker too. Any update on the CEL situation?

John
07 WRX
post #12 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Well I cleaned the MAF and air filter, and I am still popping that same code about once a week. I'm taking it in to Subaru for the timing belt service (got 96k on her now). You think a tune up is even worth it?(I've never had one done) And if so, do they even do for a tune up?
post #13 of 19 Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Check out this link: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period

It lists the specific services that are recommended at each mile mark. Every 30,000 miles is a rather large list of recommended services. Basic maintenance is what helps keep these cars running strong for years and many miles, so yeah, it's a great idea to have everything refreshed/replaced.

John
07 WRX
post #14 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Did you ever log your A/F ratios to see if it was actually running lean?

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
post #15 of 19 Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

nmrortizWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramericaa View Post
Well I cleaned the MAF and air filter, and I am still popping that same code about once a week. I'm taking it in to Subaru for the timing belt service (got 96k on her now). You think a tune up is even worth it?(I've never had one done) And if so, do they even do for a tune up?
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1) What is your idle set at, this CEL is common on COBB V2 as they have a tendency to set the fuel trims conservative.
I recomend starting at point 1
disconect the battery hold brake for 15 - 30 seconds
Connect Green and white test connectors (some cars only have green)
I do this where I am going to let the car learn to drive again.
do not boost car until you have a clear safe path to drive for it to re learn map.
Hope this helps. You may have to log a ptm and go onto COBB forums and get some recomendations for map alterations.
I used their Race Access tuner program and a lot of reading to figure some stuff out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement