COBB Stage 2. - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 Old 02-01-2009, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
Quality of fitment: Another real good ting to have but from what iv read on here, not all but most of the bay exhauts fit exceptionally well.
Most of them... I bought a AMK catless bellmouth DP for about $100. It rubbed the bottom of my car in 2 places, bolts didn't match up to turbo and was 1.5 inches too short. So if you add up the cost of it, time I spent bending fitting and drilling that POS X minimum wage = The cost of a high quality name brand DP. I've learned my lesson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 02-01-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Deshi is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXParamedic View Post
Most of them... I bought a AMK catless bellmouth DP for about $100. It rubbed the bottom of my car in 2 places, bolts didn't match up to turbo and was 1.5 inches too short. So if you add up the cost of it, time I spent bending fitting and drilling that POS X minimum wage = The cost of a high quality name brand DP. I've learned my lesson.
Iv heard of a few people having those issues. The main thing im lookin to purchase non branded is the CBE. The dp I might purchase through ebay but im lookin for a nice one. Helix, Grimmspeed, HKS bellmouth, etc. Used more than likely.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-01-2009, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

TruBluWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TruBluWRX Send a message via MSN to TruBluWRX
IMO, buy the highest quality parts you can afford within reason.

The majority of the time, especially with something that gets hot, then cold, then hot, then hotter, then cold, then freeze, then hot, you get what you pay for with quality. Turbo's put out alot of heat and if your DP welds are shit, you will more than likely lose them with the movement of the exhaust factored in.

My experience with the car game is this - If you go cheap on modding your car, your car will end up cheap in some way eventually. Some ebay part you get along the way is gonna F*#K your whole life up as far as your car goes and you will never do it again. More reputable companies not only usually provide parts that last longer and fit better (more money and technology = better parts = bigger company) as well as have the policies to stand by them (alot of the time).

Research it. Find good parts that are less expensive than big names, they dont have to be ebay parts.

*TBRex* 02 WRB WRX Wagon
post #19 of 20 Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
dumdum, Thank you for all the help you have given me on these forums allready. This may sound like im trying to argue with you but I assure you I am not. I value your opinion and the opinion of other members here.

Quality of steel: True but in my eyes, a piece of 304 stainless is the same no matter what company uses it.

Are you really getting 304 stainless?Also gauge is an important factor as well

Quality of welds: I understand this one very well, I used to rockcrawl quite a bit and I know that I would trust my old bosses welds over mine anyday.

Quality of fitment: Another real good ting to have but from what iv read on here, not all but most of the bay exhauts fit exceptionally well.

If you are just going by whats on here you need to expand your world.I frequent about 4-5 different Subaru sites.The Big one being NASIOC.I wouldn't go as far as exceptionally well.Quality control is somewhat sacrificed.

Quality of sound: I think you might have gone over my head on that one. Explain?

Borla is one example.Flowmaster is another.Basiclly has to do with the quality of the muffler design and packing material.

So from the above, I can not see paying upwards of $600 more for a name brand exhaust.

I wouldn't pay that much either.Thats why I bought my Autospeed exhaust for $200 used off ebay

Thanks
Just my take on it.Not saying you might not get an exhaust that fits fine and sounds good but quality control is really sacrificed and no one says you have to buy a quality exhaust new.I mean it is Ebay.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #20 of 20 Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I agree with TruBlu about buying what you can afford. If you have to save and wait awhile, to me its worth it. Im running full Cobb in my car. Cobb TBE, AP V2, and SS. I had to save some (plus had a deployment that helped). But the piece of mind to me is WELL worth it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"