Cobb intake for a stock wrx? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-21-2006, 11:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Cobb intake for a stock wrx?

Is this safe to install? Will it hurt the car in anyway? I've done my research on intakes, I'm just looking to see for reliability. And how I ended up with a Cobb intake is a LONG story it wasn't by choice it was actually a mistake in a way. But in any case I just want to make sure that I can use it without an engine management system. Thanks.

I have a 04 WRX Bone stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2006, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

need2boost is an unknown
Yes the cobb intake is the only intake designed to adjust the flow of air into the MAF so it can get an accurate reading, the difference is in the pipe, if you get a chance to look at it you can see the difference, won't see much performance increase, but i bought mine for the great spooling sound and BOV sound. I know I'm a ricer lol, J/K. you won't need E/m for just a Cobb intake, beware of other intakes esp. cheaper ones.
#3 Old 09-21-2006, 11:40 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider327
Is this safe to install? Will it hurt the car in anyway? I've done my research on intakes, I'm just looking to see for reliability. And how I ended up with a Cobb intake is a LONG story it wasn't by choice it was actually a mistake in a way. But in any case I just want to make sure that I can use it without an engine management system. Thanks.

I have a 04 WRX Bone stock.
With 54 posts you would think you would have taken a gander at the stickies or worked the search feature a couple of times.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#4 Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
You can use it, but without a way to see what your AFR's are, it's going to be a crap shoot.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#5 Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
The Cobb and SPT intakes are the only ones you can run without getting a tune.

rob
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#6 Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek98xc
The Cobb and SPT intakes are the only ones you can run without getting a tune.
The K&N,APS,TurboXS and Perrin short rams also retain the stockbox I.D. (65mm) along with apropriate MAF alignmet.
http://www.perrinperformance.com/pro...ake_system.htm
http://www.airpowersystems.com.au/wr...leaner/pod.htm
http://www.pdxtuning.com/store/showp...&categoryid=15

#7 Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks to all of you. The reason why I bought one for 10 bucks!!!!! Believe it or not, and because one my stock air filter was damaged (ripped) and second I needed to get another filter anyway but it was gonna be around at lest 30 bucks....so I saw this on craigslist and was like what the hell mine as well right. But I'm glad I can use it without any problems. Thanks again.
#8 Old 09-21-2006, 01:09 PM
WRXpert

Quote:
Thanks to all of you. The reason why I bought one for 10 bucks!!!!! Believe it or not, and because one my stock air filter was damaged (ripped) and second I needed to get another filter anyway but it was gonna be around at lest 30 bucks....so I saw this on craigslist and was like what the hell mine as well right. But I'm glad I can use it without any problems. Thanks again.
Is it one of the older 2 piece metal SF intakes?The had a problem with the silver ones coming apart.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994216
Hang on to your stock box or what ever you were using prior just incase.I'm sure if it does you can send it back to Cobb to replace it.

#9 Old 09-21-2006, 01:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chris Rx is an unknown
cobb and spt , only intakes worth buying without tune, im running cobb SF and love it.

the first gen cobb SF is aluminum and falls apart, i tig welded it back together so its perfect now, but the new cobb SF i heard is a hard plastic, and doesnt fall apart. either way, make sure you have a heatshield when using either
#10 Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Its the hard plastic black one. So I think its the second version. Thanks.
#11 Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rx
cobb and spt , only intakes worth buying without tune, im running cobb SF and love it.

the first gen cobb SF is aluminum and falls apart, i tig welded it back together so its perfect now, but the new cobb SF i heard is a hard plastic, and doesnt fall apart. either way, make sure you have a heatshield when using either
Which heatshield are you referring to Chris? Do you have a link to one? Let me know, thanks.
#12 Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Which heatshield are you referring to Chris? Do you have a link to one? Let me know, thanks.
Its the SPT one.It's an option and does not automaticly come with the intake.

#13 Old 09-22-2006, 07:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
If all else fails, you could fab up your own heatshield. I would try that since you got the intake for so cheap. Good score there, btw.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#14 Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks, I'll look into to it. And yeah it was big surprise! At first I was like it can't be true. A Cobb intake especially Cobb for $10? What's wrong with this picture but it turned out to be real and works well, I'm happy.