Cobb AP Vs. TXS UTEC - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 05-09-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

high boost is an unknown
Cobb AP Vs. TXS UTEC

Just to cut to the chase which system is the better of the two? Some say Cobb. Some say turbo xs! Both seem like they have their own strong points but what one is overall better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-09-2005, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

My05WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to My05WRX
The UTEC is overall better. The advantage Cobb has is that the basemaps will help you right out of the box where as the UTEC needs to be tuned. The UTEC has much more potential but is more expensive and tuning is a must. If you plan on staying at stage 1 or 2 then go with Cobb, if you want to go further get the UTEC.
post #3 of 39 Old 05-09-2005, 05:14 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
You can't just say one is better. For me, the Cobb might be better, but for you the UTEC. I like the Cobb because of the ease of switching maps, having pretty solid base maps, and now having a ProTuner out so you can get dyno tuned.
post #4 of 39 Old 05-09-2005, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Depends on what you want to do. They both do the same thing, and do it well. The UTEC offers more control, and you can fine tune it. However, if you don't know what you are doing, that can be a bad thing. The Cobb is more "set it and forget it". You probably won't get as much peak hp out of a Cobb map as you would a dyno tuned UTEC map, but we are only talking about a few hp.

So, to sum it up, you can't really go wrong with either one. They are different things that use different methods to achieve the same result.

Then there's the Hydra....
post #5 of 39 Old 05-09-2005, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

tescrex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tescrex
Cobb now has Street Tuner which I believe gives it the same tunability of the UTEC.
post #6 of 39 Old 05-10-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

high boost is an unknown
ok so do you really see the performance gains that cobb claims on their website? or are they less significant?
post #7 of 39 Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

IBALONGWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to IBALONGWRX
i have never had mine on a dyno but mustangs (brand new 2005) dont have a chance !Laugh! i was also wondering what others egts are running under full load and @ 80 or so.
post #8 of 39 Old 05-11-2005, 01:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
depends.........if you are very good with cars and know how to tune then def go utec and especially if your gonna upgrade turbo and not stay at stage 2. But beware of where you live because in a place where there is alot of climate changes IE denver utec runs horrible. The utec is very sensitve. Also when adding a piggy back computer to your stock one you can feel it switch over to the piggy back which doesnt make for great daily driving. If your not very good with cars then you should go with Ecutek. They tune your stock computer to the parts you have. You tune it once and your good to go and you dont need to play around with it and tune out knocks that may arise.
post #9 of 39 Old 05-11-2005, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxtacy19
depends.........if you are very good with cars and know how to tune then def go utec and especially if your gonna upgrade turbo and not stay at stage 2. But beware of where you live because in a place where there is alot of climate changes IE denver utec runs horrible. The utec is very sensitve. Also when adding a piggy back computer to your stock one you can feel it switch over to the piggy back which doesnt make for great daily driving. If your not very good with cars then you should go with Ecutek. They tune your stock computer to the parts you have. You tune it once and your good to go and you dont need to play around with it and tune out knocks that may arise.
That is untrue. The Cobb and UTEC use the same methods of overriding the MAF sensor. The MAF sensor is what causes the inconsistincies, not the engine management. The UTEC is not any more sensitive than any other system. And, if programmed correctly, you will not feel the transition point.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-11-2005, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

JavaREX is an unknown
Cobb is REAL easy and user friendly for a typical tuner. Results are impressive and it costs quite a bit less

My 2-cents
post #11 of 39 Old 05-11-2005, 05:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

gingertooth is an unknown
may sound kind of stupid but are their aftermarket maf sensors to improvement your power.
post #12 of 39 Old 05-11-2005, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

skiingjohn is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to skiingjohn
I've heard that piggybacks arent the best for a car because the ECU is continuously "battling" the piggyback for control, which when taken off, the "learning ECU" (which is in almost every new car) can react adversly. If you don't believe that the wrx has a learning ecu: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...wrx/index.html so has anybody had any problems taking their UTEC off?
post #13 of 39 Old 05-11-2005, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
I think you disconnect the battery when you remove the piggyback, so you are resetting you ECU then anyways.
post #14 of 39 Old 05-11-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

high boost is an unknown
so say i wanted to get a vf-34 sti pinks a new top mount an up-pipe new fuel pump and fuel rails what sould i go with?
post #15 of 39 Old 05-11-2005, 09:55 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement