Cobb adj. Shifter & Bushings / Tein H-Techs / Group "N" Mounts installed - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cobb adj. Shifter & Bushings / Tein H-Techs / Group "N" Mounts installed

After searching hundreds of threads to find the perfect mods to make my car a little more fun to drive I finally picked out some parts to give my car a little more character.

I test drove an 05 STi about a year ago and blown away with the shifter, ride and lack of movement from the engine. I wanted to save up and buy an 08 but after test driving one I found that the engine moved around just as much as my 05, so they must have made the mounts softer in order to reduce NVH.

The engine chugging back and forth while driving in bumper to bumper traffic was so annoying I almost got rid of the car altogether. I'm glad I didn't b/c these mods really tightened up the car and made it more fun to drive. This is how the WRX should have come from the factory.

Hopefully my reviews and pictures will help someone else who might be deciding between different parts. I had all these parts installed for $300 and it was aligned for $50 by a friend that is a BMW mechanic.

Cobb dual adjustable shifter: Much better feel, a little noisier, but a lot shorter shifts. First is kind of where neutral was, and second is in the same place. The bushings were also installed so there's no more rubbery feel. It's maybe only a half inch shorter in height which is nice so I don't have to reach far for it. Looks wise you can't tell it from stock. I think this is an advantage over the Kart Boy which seems to bunch up the leather bag b/c it's so short.
JSC Speed: Performance Parts Warehouse

STI Group N Motor Mounts: Engine doesn't move around near as much and the clutch take up is more predictable. The chugging a slow speed and rapid on/off throttle maneuvers in nearly all gone. The mechanic said these were pretty tough to get in. The Group N trans mount was installed about a year ago and it was a nice improvement, but the combination of both of them is perfect. There is more NVH, especially at idle. But I don't mind this at all and it even passed the wife test b/c she didn't notice any difference.
SubaruGenuineParts.com || Where Genuine is Better!

Tein H-Tech Springs: Much better look and I honestly think the ride is better. You feel potholes and big bumps more, but overall it just feels smoother. What's really nice is that the front doesn't pitch up while accelerating and dive while breaking. Wife didn't complain about the ride. She thought it was better b/c she didn't move around as much while shifting gears. I picked these springs over the Eibach b/c the Eibach looked a little too low in the rear.

Camber Bolts: I only got two for the back. The print out for the alignment is exactly back to stock, or better is some cases. I'm fairly sure that my tires will be fine as long as the springs don't settle. He drove it around the block before doing the alignment. It might have been better to wait a week, but he did it for only $50, so even if he has to do it again, it's not bad. These were only $17 for the pair and I've heard they aren't required but better safe then sorry.

Before:

After:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Nice looking set up. Glad you are happier with the car now.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Thanks, it was fun for about 15 miles until the Check Engine Light came on. It had a pretty rough idle with the new mounts and two or three times the idle fell to about 200 and then came back up to between 500 and 600 rpm.

Anybody know what might cause this?

I took it to Subaru so we'll see what they find today. My best guess is that maybe a sensor was bumped during the install or something like that. The mounts are SPT parts so it's weird that the engine wouldn't like them.
#4 Old 06-03-2008, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

A vacuum line fell off the air intake, probably while moving the engine around to get the mounts in. Whoops.
#5 Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
That sucks about the problem. Glad it wasnt nothing major though.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 07-09-2008, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

bigdpnc is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to bigdpnc
sounds like a good setup! are you still happy with it. i am about to purchase similar items.
#7 Old 07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yes, I'm still very happy. The suspension is better 98% of the time. Big potholes or really rough parking lots can jar you around, but it's much better than I expected. There is no sagging or anything.

My only regret is that I probably should have gone with the Group N pitch mount too b/c occasionally I can still get a bit of that annoying herky-jerky feeling in the drive train. It settles out much faster than before.

I guess I can always add it later, it happens so much less that I don't really get bothered by it anymore.

I only have a few more mods on my list before I'm done.

-17 inch Rota Wheels
-Window Tint (happening next Saturday)
-Tune by P&L motorsports
#8 Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

c2bcoolwrx is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
After searching hundreds of threads to find the perfect mods to make my car a little more fun to drive I finally picked out some parts to give my car a little more character.

I test drove an 05 STi about a year ago and blown away with the shifter, ride and lack of movement from the engine. I wanted to save up and buy an 08 but after test driving one I found that the engine moved around just as much as my 05, so they must have made the mounts softer in order to reduce NVH.

The engine chugging back and forth while driving in bumper to bumper traffic was so annoying I almost got rid of the car altogether. I'm glad I didn't b/c these mods really tightened up the car and made it more fun to drive. This is how the WRX should have come from the factory.

Hopefully my reviews and pictures will help someone else who might be deciding between different parts. I had all these parts installed for $300 and it was aligned for $50 by a friend that is a BMW mechanic.

Cobb dual adjustable shifter: Much better feel, a little noisier, but a lot shorter shifts. First is kind of where neutral was, and second is in the same place. The bushings were also installed so there's no more rubbery feel. It's maybe only a half inch shorter in height which is nice so I don't have to reach far for it. Looks wise you can't tell it from stock. I think this is an advantage over the Kart Boy which seems to bunch up the leather bag b/c it's so short.

STI Group N Motor Mounts: Engine doesn't move around near as much and the clutch take up is more predictable. The chugging a slow speed and rapid on/off throttle maneuvers in nearly all gone. The mechanic said these were pretty tough to get in. The Group N trans mount was installed about a year ago and it was a nice improvement, but the combination of both of them is perfect. There is more NVH, especially at idle. But I don't mind this at all and it even passed the wife test b/c she didn't notice any difference.
SubaruGenuineParts.com || Where Genuine is Better!

Tein H-Tech Springs: Much better look and I honestly think the ride is better. You feel potholes and big bumps more, but overall it just feels smoother. What's really nice is that the front doesn't pitch up while accelerating and dive while breaking. Wife didn't complain about the ride. She thought it was better b/c she didn't move around as much while shifting gears. I picked these springs over the Eibach b/c the Eibach looked a little too low in the rear.

Camber Bolts: I only got two for the back. The print out for the alignment is exactly back to stock, or better is some cases. I'm fairly sure that my tires will be fine as long as the springs don't settle. He drove it around the block before doing the alignment. It might have been better to wait a week, but he did it for only $50, so even if he has to do it again, it's not bad. These were only $17 for the pair and I've heard they aren't required but better safe then sorry.

Sounds Like a nice setup/upgrades. I would also add Group "N" tranny mount as well, as that makes the biggest difference in shifting and a tranny flush and refill with "Scottie's Cocktail" (1 quart Pennzoil Synchromesh, 2 Castrol Hypoy C 80w90, &
1 Redline Lightweight Shockproof).
#9 Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

bigdpnc is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to bigdpnc
sounds good man! i also just noticed that you were from chicago. i work up here and go cruzin around with some other wrx guys. you ever go to 43rd and pulaski?
#10 Old 01-15-2009, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sorry, totally missed these replies. I think I need to adjust some settings to get better notification.

I live out in the suburbs now so I'm not in the city very much.

I will say one thing about the springs. The roads must get a lot harder as the temperature drops b/c I've noticed that the ride is a lot rougher now. It was -10 on my ride to work today. That combined with potholes all over makes for a pretty bumpy ride. I still wouldn't change it back.

I had my alignment checked and I need to get it aligned again. I had the same shop align the car the same day the springs were put on. I probably should have driven it for a bit to let them settle a little. Hopefully this next alignment will hold longer.

I've noticed that the shifter bushings might be squeking a little in the cold weather. It's not all the time. I might spray on some lithium grease in the spring.