Cluster worth it? Best Gauges? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

captnzippy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to captnzippy
Cluster worth it? Best Gauges?

We all seem to know that as more mods keep building up in our minds the more important saftey and monitoring does as well right? So what are the best gauges for the money? It is afterall very important that they are accurate but at what cost?

Then of course comes the question of where to put them. The "A" piller while very racey looking seems a bit to distracting for daily driving and not exactly the best effect if your trying to build yourself a killer wrex street sleeper. The center cluster loses your clock! And the steering column is a bit strange. I found a baffle on JSC Speed's website that "supposedly," fits the WRX. The picture on the site of the bezel is cool but DOES NOT look like a wrx to me. Anyone tried this one? Ifi t works it would allow you to have all you majors right there with your main instrument cluster. You factory Gas/temp, tach and speedo + two 52mm gauges to the left and right lower sides "Boost & EGT I would think. So whatcha think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Well, if you're concerned about losing the clock, then just buy a new Headunit, one with a clock. However, if this is not an option for you, then the "baffle" you're talking about sounds like a good option. Regardless of which you decide, you must have an accurate Boost and EGT gauges. If you have a spot for a third, then Oil Pressure or Oil Temp is another good choice.

I went with Greddy Electronic gagues..... they are some of the best on the market. Blitz makes good gauges as well..... there are some others out there. Personally, I would stay away from Autometer or any of the other cheaper gauges out there. A gauge is only as accurate as the sensor it uses, and Greddy has some of the best.

Blue
post #3 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

TheRex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TheRex
lookie...and my autometers are accurate, dunno why everyone else has such a problem with em...
Attached Images

post #4 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

captnzippy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to captnzippy
TheRex: That is the 52mm mounting bezel I am looking for! Where did you find it? Do they disrupt your view at all? Looks great too pal, nice work!
Zippy
post #5 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
are they the electric ones.. because if they are i dont think anyone had a problem with thoes.. its the machnical ones that everyone is haveing the problems with..
post #6 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 05:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

TheRex is an unknown
Quote:
Originally posted by captnzippy
TheRex: That is the 52mm mounting bezel I am looking for! Where did you find it? Do they disrupt your view at all? Looks great too pal, nice work!
Zippy
JSC Speed...the only complaint i really have is that they block my gas warning light, and the piece isnt that finely crafted, but it sure looks sweet
post #7 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rizzo is an unknown
Sorry to jump your gauges thread but I thought this would apply and I really want to know. What causes your EGT's to become too high or low?? I am not sure if I need an egt gauge yet and if so it sounds like I better hurry up. I already have a stock boost gauge. Thanks for any help..
post #8 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

TheRex is an unknown
from what i know, and im probably not the best person to ask, but i believe it has to do with how lean or rich you are running, i think boost controllers, aftermarket turbo's and such have an effect on them...im pretty sure thats right, but i could be wrong...as for your stock boost gauge, its about as accurate as a shotgun from 200 yds away
post #9 of 26 Old 11-17-2003, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

SloRice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SloRice
Rizzo,
I see you have a boost controller. Depending on how much you up the boost, you are going to lean out your air-fuel ratio, which causes higher EGT's, which causes knock....very bad! Thats the bad thing about boost controllers with a WRX, the stock ECU doesn't raise the amount of fuel it puts into the motor when you up the boost. You probably want to invest in a good EGT and boost gauge. When I was running stock, I would hit 1500F on occasion. So upping boost would raise it even more and going over 1600F will start hurting your engine.

Tim
post #10 of 26 Old 11-19-2003, 07:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Maverick is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Maverick
The need for a boost gauge i understand as well as EGT (sorta), but i also hear lots of talk about the A/F gauge. Should I get one of those as well? If I had to pick an order does Boost, EGT, A/F sound right? I have not begun any major tuning yet (almost have the money for a UTEC!) and I will not be increasing the boost until I change out the up pipe. So, Is the A/F even worth it or will the two others suffice? Will I need any other gauges in the long run? Oh, and are the Greddy gauges with the warning lights much better than the ones without??
Thanks!
post #11 of 26 Old 11-19-2003, 08:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
If you get an A/F gauge, the only one you can use is the Greddy. All of the other ones read narrow band sensors. The WRX has a wide band sensor. The Greddy reads it.

And, regardless of what others have said, there is no such thing as an accurate mechanical boost gauge.
post #12 of 26 Old 11-19-2003, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Maverick is an unknown
I like greddy's gauges, but i like the Defi gauge pod and am unsure if they'll fit into it ok. Just don't want to mount the gauges on the A-pillar. Is an A/f Gauge worth it though and just how important is it?
post #13 of 26 Old 11-19-2003, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I have the 60mm Greddy Electronic Gauges with the Defi Pod and they fit perfectly. Heres a Pic:

A/F gauges are only worth it if you have a Wideband O2 sensor to go along with it. Otherwise, they are simply a pretty show of lights and not accurate enough to tune with.

Blue

Last edited by BlueDemon; 11-19-2003 at 03:23 PM.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-19-2003, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Maverick is an unknown
Did that take awhile to install? Looks good but are the gauges still easily read? What gauge do you have on the far right?
Thanks!
post #15 of 26 Old 11-19-2003, 07:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Maverick
Did that take awhile to install? Looks good but are the gauges still easily read? What gauge do you have on the far right?
Thanks!
If you know how to do wiring and already have the required places drilled and tapped, or the adapters installed then the install will not take very long. The Gauges are very easily read while in the drivers seat. Seems to me the gauges are slightly angled toward the driver for easeir viewing. The gauge on the far right is Oil Temp.

Blue