Cheap Ebay Ehaust Manifold - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

kdwthtechemicals is an unknown
Cheap Ebay Ehaust Manifold

Has anyone ever tried a cheap Exhaust manifold off ebay, I got a 2002 wrx and need an up pipe done, And was looking around and found this

Exhaust Manifold Header Up pipe EJ20 Impreza WRX 02-07: eBay Motors (item 230492840595 end time Jul-27-10 10:01:09 PDT)

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sure, the piping is $46.99, but shipping will be at least another $48.99 and for that price, you're probably better off spending an extra hundred bucks or so and going with a Grimmspeed HiFlow Exhaust Manifold Crosspipe: GrimmSpeed or something similar. Not to mention, headers aren't really recommended until your car is fairly modded anyway and then you really should also get tuned for them to maximize your power gains.

Cheap-o exhaust manifolds are extremely prone to leaks due to cheap welds and materials. Some people get lucky and nothing happens, but just think how upset you'd be if you spent that much money on one set, found out there was a leak, and had to spend the same amount or twice as much more to get decent stuff. I just wouldn't take the chance. Plus, it's probably not going to be a fun job. I bet most of the bolts will be semi-rusted and a pain to get off. Will you be doing the job yourself or taking it somewhere to have it done?

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im a firm believer in getting what you pay for. So just because the price is right, doesnt mean everything else is. I would look into something that is known to work. Like mentioned above check into Grimmspeed, great products, great people.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#4 Old 07-12-2010, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
i have em, fitment is straight but ## gonna have to force it at one point but other than that i like em. I cracked mine a few weeks back hitting a curb so i need a new set. think ima go back to stockers ### you here more of the turbo spool but these are good. gaskets they come with are sh** though, grab oem ones
#5 Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
How has your other ebay stuff been holding up? I was tempted by the intercoolers, but ended up getting a used sti tmic.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#6 Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

phatmike0704 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to phatmike0704 Send a message via Yahoo to phatmike0704
everything is holdin up great. the turbo needs a new wastegate though. builds boost slow and someone told me to swap the ebay turbos with mitsu or somethin good
#7 Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You could not pay me to use that. Even an new up-pipe alone for that price is a bad idea.
#8 Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
I used to sport an ebay TBE when i had my bugeye and loved it. My buddy decided since my exhaust worked so well he wanted to try the manifold and uppipe. The manifold ended up even coming close to fitting, but the up pipe fit, then the welds cracked two weeks down the road.

IMO there's certain things you can save some cash on, but the manifold and up pipe are not one of them.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#9 Old 07-18-2010, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
All I can say is to err is to human...in other words avoid using that stuff. I have an old GT III and it has worked great for years, but I have also had to reweld it a few times.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...