CEL near redline - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-15-2004, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
CEL near redline

I know it sounds like a newb question but when getting close to redline does the cel flash? because when i was raceing my friends lighting when i got around 6500rpm maby a little higher the cel would start to flash.. is that because iam getting close to the rev limiter or is it because the engine is knocking.. i have a utec but i had it on stock mode then soo i dont think it would of done anything anyway.. just wondering if this has happend to anyone else.. thxs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-15-2004, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
It is the UTEC telling you the engine is knocking. I don't think that's all that strange at WOT. How high is your boost going when in stock mode? Maybe you are overboosting?
#3 Old 08-16-2004, 07:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
why is that not strange???

if you car is running well in any stage or state of modifications on any certain map, it should not be knocking at point along the way... i can hold WOT at 20psi through to top speed w/out any knocks.... and believe me, you'd best back off the throttle the very second you catch that CEL flash.... 1 bad knock can blow your engine, conversely, 20 knocks may do no harm to your engine... its simply a gamble... avoid knock, and the gamble is gone...

did it feel as though it was pulling timing? hesitating at all??? UTEC will retard ignition and if it detects knock as long as you haven't altered those parameters not to...

But don't rely on it to save your car outright, you need to watch for knocks and react appropraitely... and address any issues with consistent knocking, its a sign that your running the car too agressively for the fuel your supplying it, or that there's some type of problem along the way... could be anything... boost leak, over boosting, poor fuel quality, so on and so forth...

my .02
#4 Old 08-16-2004, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

yergi is an unknown
^^ what he said.
#5 Old 08-16-2004, 05:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
i had the utec on stock mode though or map 0 on the selector switch.. soo i dont think the utec would flash for knock or have anything to do with the ecu.. i was getting very close to the rev limiter and i was just wondering if anyone else ever had a flashing cel when up in that range.. ill make sure not to let it happen again though.. i have had knock befor and fixed it but i was just wondering why it would flash when the utec is on stock mode... just thought maby the car does that when getting close to the rev limiter or hitting the limiter..
#6 Old 08-16-2004, 06:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
flashing CEL in stock ECU mode is misfire.....

pull the codes, i will bet you have a P0300, random cyl misfire, or P0301-304....

you were probly hitting the rev limiter, and it said to hell with you....
#7 Old 08-16-2004, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
soo that must happen with most wrx's that hit the rev limiter right? soo i guess ill just have to make sure to watch the tach next time lol.. or get one of thoes big tachs with a light ... thxs
#8 Old 08-16-2004, 07:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
but do check to see if you have any codes.....
#9 Old 08-17-2004, 07:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful REXronald is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Interesting...

i've hit the rev limiter before (oops, i hate that) but never had the CEL flash with it... hmmm, is that ### i would be in a UTEC map with the CEL disabled except for knock.... of course, i periodically check the CEL codes, never a misfire one... oh well... either way, always a good idea to stay off the rev limiter (and thank god it exists, or we would all probably have blown rings and bent valves )
#10 Old 09-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
I had the same problem when I first got my cumputer tuned, it turned out I was boosting to high, a quick adjustment and it has been fine ever since. I do have a different computer though ( ECUTEK )