Subaru WRX Forum banner

CEL after doing a cat-less downpipe swap

23K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I just swapped my 2003's exhaust and downpipe for an HKS Hi-Power two days ago, and yesterday on the highway the Check Engine light came on. I understand this is pretty common because the oxy sensor triggers it without cats.

I have two questions:
(1) What's the best and easiest way to "fix" the oxy sensor tripping?
(2) What's the easiest way to get my CEL reset?

Thanks a lot!

-gT

#2 ·
Engine Management would be the best, because then you would be getting more out of just putting on the DP. You can reset the ECU, but unpugging your battery and letting the power drain and then hook it back up. Search CEL fix either here, google, or NASIOC and you can find several other "ways" to fix the CEL.

#3 ·
Thanks! I'll try disconnecting the battery and seeing if the CEL comes back, but it most likely will, huh? I'd love to do a Vishnu ECU engine management upgrade, but I'll need a cheaper solution for the short-term. I'll Google and see what I can find.

#7 ·
O2 sensor fix

so i would have to solder the resistor in the blue wire by cutting it then solder both ends of the blue wire on to the resistor? if i went with this option would i still be able to reinstall the oem downpipe and pass emissions without having a CEL pop up? if i do go with a cobb accessport would it allow me to turn off the CEL permanetly or would i have to erase the codes everytime they popped up? -thanks

#10 ·
i read of a lot of people doing foulers on the old 350z forum not sure if they will work with these but you can buy them at any auto part store for like $10... But im not promising it will work i also have a buddy who did it on his civic si and it worked for him and he also pass's emissions like that too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.