CEL after doing a cat-less downpipe swap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-29-2009, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

goturbo is an unknown
CEL after doing a cat-less downpipe swap

Hi all,

I just swapped my 2003's exhaust and downpipe for an HKS Hi-Power two days ago, and yesterday on the highway the Check Engine light came on. I understand this is pretty common because the oxy sensor triggers it without cats.

I have two questions:
(1) What's the best and easiest way to "fix" the oxy sensor tripping?
(2) What's the easiest way to get my CEL reset?

Thanks a lot!

-gT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2009, 08:04 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Engine Management would be the best, because then you would be getting more out of just putting on the DP. You can reset the ECU, but unpugging your battery and letting the power drain and then hook it back up. Search CEL fix either here, google, or NASIOC and you can find several other "ways" to fix the CEL.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

goturbo is an unknown
Thanks! I'll try disconnecting the battery and seeing if the CEL comes back, but it most likely will, huh? I'd love to do a Vishnu ECU engine management upgrade, but I'll need a cheaper solution for the short-term. I'll Google and see what I can find.
#4 Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The CEL will come back. Look at either the Cobb AP or Opensource tuning. Both are widely supported by tuners.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
I think a 2.2k ohm resitor in the blue wire of the O2 senor will fix the CEL. But EM is need to get the max out of your mods.
#6 Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I would go to an Open Source Stage 2 map if you can find someone near you with a laptop and cable. That would defeat the CEL's and make the car run better.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#7 Old 10-21-2011, 01:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Klone is an unknown
O2 sensor fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfartracer View Post
I think a 2.2k ohm resitor in the blue wire of the O2 senor will fix the CEL. But EM is need to get the max out of your mods.
so i would have to solder the resistor in the blue wire by cutting it then solder both ends of the blue wire on to the resistor? if i went with this option would i still be able to reinstall the oem downpipe and pass emissions without having a CEL pop up? if i do go with a cobb accessport would it allow me to turn off the CEL permanetly or would i have to erase the codes everytime they popped up? -thanks
#8 Old 10-21-2011, 07:33 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
No. The resister trick is for the EGT probe,not the rear O2 sensor (P0420 code). Either get some engine management or use spark plug or buy/make a mechanical fix.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#9 Old 10-22-2011, 01:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Klone is an unknown
2.2 trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
No. The resister trick is for the EGT probe,not the rear O2 sensor (P0420 code). Either get some engine management or use spark plug or buy/make a mechanical fix.
spark plug? u mean putting a spark plug in the O2 hole? 2.2 resistor in the egt would i have to solder it in or can i just plug it in? turboxs has a uppipe that comes with the 2.2 resistor but dont know what type it is
#10 Old 10-25-2011, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
i read of a lot of people doing foulers on the old 350z forum not sure if they will work with these but you can buy them at any auto part store for like $10... But im not promising it will work i also have a buddy who did it on his civic si and it worked for him and he also pass's emissions like that too
#11 Old 10-26-2011, 12:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

Klone is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs0806 View Post
i read of a lot of people doing foulers on the old 350z forum not sure if they will work with these but you can buy them at any auto part store for like $10... But im not promising it will work i also have a buddy who did it on his civic si and it worked for him and he also pass's emissions like that too
ive heard the same on here. ill probably end up doing the fouler fix since a cobb cat downpipe cost a ship load. -thanks
#12 Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If you think that is expensive...try buying a turbo back exhaust for the 3rd gen WRXs.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#13 Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
If you think that is expensive...try buying a turbo back exhaust for the 3rd gen WRXs.
Look at a cat back for an R-35, lol. But its true, most the stuff for the 3rd gen seemed to get inflated.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Look at an exhaust for a 997 911 Turbo

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#15 Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Now you are just teasing Matt. Lol.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"