Catless vs Catted smell - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-07-2010, 02:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sindar27 is an unknown
Catless vs Catted smell

Hi, I have a question concerning the cats in the exhaust of 2005 WRX. Specifically, how noticeable is the smell if I replace the DP with a catless DP? I like the prices of the catless DPs, but donít want to have issues with having to keep the windows up if the smell is bad. To be honest, Iím sure my wife will bitch about it every chance she gets.

Also, most posts Iíve seen donít make replacing the UP a priority till later. Considering I have a 2005, would it be best to replace it now? Iíll be doing it myself, but Iím hesitant since itís doesnít sound like a very easy job.

I could have separated these questions into separate posts, but Iíve got one last question. Iím looking for advice from someone who has heard at least 2 of the 3 following exhausts and can offer an opinion on how they compare when it comes to loudness. Iím looking at the Cobb, HKS Carbon-TI and the Greddy EVO2. I know right off the bat that the HKS is supposed to be louder than the other 2, but kind of looking for how noticeable it is. I live in England and we just moved into a neighborhood of 3 story brick houses that you could piss from one house to the other, so Iíd rather not wake everyone up at 6am when going to work.

Thanks in advance for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The COBB exhaust would probably be your best bet for a nice subtle sound. I had an HKS and it was louder than I liked (some like it like that)

The UP (if you take your time) will run you 3-4 hours. It's not a hard job, just time consuming. Nothing like workin on your own car to get to know it a little better.

The catless smell is annoying to me... just save up a little more cash for the catted one. Catless will only help another 2-3 ponies....

Have you done all the regular maint. yet ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd recommend replacing the up pipe when you have your downpipe apart. It's much easier doing it at that point rather than doing it later because you'll have to disassemble the downpipe to get to the up pipe anyway. It's not too terribly hard, just time consuming like Paul mentioned. If you have any mechanical ability - and it sounds like you probably do - you'll be able to do the job with simple hand tools, some patience, and possibly an extra set of hands here or there. There are several good writeups online about how to do the installs, so you might want to familiarize yourself with the process before you begin.

I have an HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti cat back on my 07 WRX and it's one of the louder exhausts I've heard on these cars. If you don't want to annoy your neighbors, you'll probably want to avoid that one. My parents can hear me approaching their house from several miles away. Even when I try to be quiet, they can still hear me coming. I'm not too familiar with the other two, but I'd wager they're quieter.

I have a Cobb catted downpipe and I don't notice any smell at all, so I can't really comment on that part of your post.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I have the Cobb Catted DP and I do notice a little bit of smell, but it's not nearly as bad as full catless. I would get the catted DP. Invidia makes a nice DP with the cat nice and high near the turbo so it heats up fast, and that means the smell goes away quickly.

I really wanted to run the Perrin DP that has two cats on it. It will pass the visual inspection if your state has one. I found the Cobb DP used for a great price, so I went with that.

I would do the up-pipe at the same time since you're already going to have the DP off. Chances are you'll break half of your DP bolts, so I doubt that's something you'll want to go through twice.

Just pick up a used STI or 06-up WRX up-pipe on ebay. They're usually $50. The Cobb Stage 2 map eliminates the code that comes up b/c of the missing temp. probe in the stock up-pipe so you won't need the resistor fix if you unplug the sensor.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#5 Old 07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
I have an Invidia catless DP and UP on my 05 WRX. The smell is really annoying but since I live in the middle of the Caribbean I always drive with my A/C on high. If I were to drive it with the windows down I'd end up with all my clothes smelling like gas...

I suggest you look at Invidia's catted DP as well as their UP and their recently released Q300 cat back exhaust, nice and quiet. You can't go wrong with Invidia products, quality, fit and finish is superb.
#6 Old 07-07-2010, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

mista jc is an unknown
Great information and tips. I was wanting to ask the same question as well.

Does anyone know or have experience with Invidia catted DP + SPT catback for 08+ WRX? I've got the SPT, just looking for the right DP that mates perfectly without modding. Also if you guys can explain the bellmouth vs. divorced DP lingo.

Thanks, gentlemen.
#7 Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

mista jc is an unknown
Dude... wrong section ftl. I fail, sorry guys.
#8 Old 07-08-2010, 12:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sindar27 is an unknown
Thank you to everyone who responded. Lots of good information there. Taking care of the up pipe sounds like a good idea, so I think I will. As for the DP, I've been looking at the Perrin catted one piece, but I will look into the Invidia catted DPs based on your advice. The first thing (and kinda only thing) I bought for the car was a COBB AP, so I should be good to go once I get parts on.

I'm in Afghanistan right now in the AF, so I'm going to start buying stuff and sending it home, so it's ready to go when I get back. Military installations normally have garages you can rent for the day that are stocked with tools/lifts and it's like 10 dollars a day, so should be covered there.

Again, thanks for the help.
#9 Old 07-30-2010, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
on my bugeye i have the catless ebay exhaust, and you can definitely smell it. it's not bad just if you get the wind the right way at a light it smells like a racecar or something hahah
#10 Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
If you have a smell, you are running too rich. On my current tune I do have a stinky exhaust, but for 4 yrs I ran various tunes that had no smell at all.
#11 Old 07-30-2010, 04:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

AkSoul is an unknown
I'm catless, I noticed a big smell difference. I dont mind it, it reminds me of my old suburban I used to drive..