Subaru WRX Forum banner

Catless uppipe

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 ·
Would I fail an inspection test if I ran a catless uppipe on my 03 WRX? I know 03 WRXs have cats in the uppipe and at higher boost levels, the cat can break off and damage your turbo. Is there some way I could pass with a catless uppipe or would I have to swap in an uppipe with a cat everytime I go get an inspection? And is it true 03 WRX also have a cat in the mid pipe or it's not true?

#4 ·
As long as your exhaust path has at least one working cat you should come out fine on the sniffer. If you have a high flow catted down pipe you might have a tougher time but assuming everything is running normally I cant a sniffer pegging you.

#6 · (Edited)
Ontario no longer has a sniff test. For vehicles 1998 or later they use an On Board Diagnostic System test (OBD Test), which means if you don't have a CEL (check engine light) your vehicle will pass.

I'm in Ontario and the emissions test requirement is bi-annual.

I installed a cat-less turbo up-pipe like you to protect the turbo. We chose one with a exhaust sensor bung and re-installed the factory sensor to avoid the CEL. We still have a(nother) cat in the downpipe unless you upgrade without it (not recommended).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.