catbacks and gutted UP and DP - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-08-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
catbacks and gutted UP and DP

Ok... This is one question that has kind of worried me for a while. obviously if the cats are gutted or replaced with aftermarkets, the WRX will not pass emissions. How does everyone else pass emissions without problems? Im aware that a normal garage will not have an AWD emission tester and that it has to be done at a subaru dealer... how does everyone else get away with this? ### im afraid of installing catbacks and gutted pipes and then not being able to pass emissions at a normal garage because they tell me to go to a subaru emissions tester... anyone have the solution to this? one thing that my friend told me about his AWD DSM is that if you take it to a normal garage to get emissions passed, they will just automatically pass you because they dont have the equipment to test it... is this true??? or do you think they will send me back to the Subaru dealer for it? WORRIES WORRIES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
The key is most places aren't as strict as you think they are. It really depends on where you live. Personally, we don't have emissions testing in WV, but they will fail you if you have a CEL on. The CEL will only come on if you have no cats in your system. WRX's have 3. Even if you have no cats, you can always get a MIL fix/02 simulator.

Most places have a sniffer test, but since they don't have AWD dyno's, they'll only do it at idle. Usually if you have atleast one cat, you'll be fine. As for no cats, someone else will have to answer that since I don't have to worry about it. Some people, like in Cali, just put their stock DP back on for emissions testing since they only need to be tested for emissions every 3 years (I think?)

Also, I wouldn't recommend you gutting your uppipe. It's dangerous enough to affect your health that could be avoided with like.. $200 and that still doesn't gurantee that you get all of the junk out of the pipe.

... If they turn you down and send you to a Subaru dealer to get you emissions tested, those people are morons, and I'd try to avoid them in the first place. AWD cars are exempt from the dyno sniff and only require a idle sniff depending on where you live.

I wouldn't worry about it so much. Relax, just read up a little. There have been several posts about these debates on this forum alone.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement