Subaru WRX Forum banner

Catback Facts

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  man show 
#1 ·
So my first mod I want is a catback because I need sound. I am trying of wasting my life away sitting in front of youtube for hours watching and listening to other peoples exhaust vids (plus my wife is also tired of hearing engines rev noises, never want to irritate the Mrs.)

Loudness has been my driving factor thus far, but at this point I don't mind. Now my thoughts are on cost, some catbacks are cheaper than the Cobb (which is the one I have been coming back to over and over)

Two Questions:

1. What is the most compatible to other parts in the future/ easy to install (I am limited in my installs, the install would happen on jacks in my driveway, not tall jacks mind you either)

2. What systems mount up that the tip comes out straight? Not sold on the systems that are angled, sometimes it looks good, but I don't want to take my chances.

Thanks

#2 ·
As far as "stock" looking exhaust; Cobb, Perrin, and Borla do right of the top of my head, at least for the 08+. Are you wanting to keep the dual exhaust going, or do you not mind going single?

As far as compatible parts, if the flange styles are different you can go to an exhaust shop and have them weld a different flange on one piece or the other. Or if one system is full 3" and the other a tapered or 2.5" end theres an adaptor that is sold on rallysportdirect.com that makes them fit together better and easier.

#5 ·
I think exhaust are pretty standard. the angle might be because of the size of the muffler and how it tucks for ground clearance. If you buy one and its angled you could use adapters to straighten it but then your lookin at a lot of welding and possible leaks ( or rather more of a chance of it leaking later on). If you looking for sound a safe bet is a spt exhaust. good sound and you know its going to fit.

#6 ·
The Borla Hush, GP Moto, and the Cobb sound so much better than the SPT IMHO, and I have heard all these in person, running the Cobb and GP Moto on two of my cars. Me and a member from here (mostly him, thanks Mike) installed the GP Moto on my 2005 with just jack stands and hand tools. You just need the car up far enough to get the DP out and the CBE out to slide from the car.

#8 ·
No, nothing at all against you, sorry it sounded like that.

Unfortunately its very hard to give an unbiased analysis about the two. The GP is on my 2005 4EAT and its catless. The Cobb is on my 2007 5SPD with a 20G and supporting mods. The Cobb I can get deeper in the exhaust and revs so to me it sounds better, and sounds better in the cabin of the car. The GP you cant get as deep considering you cant choose when to change gears, but I do believe that the GP is more throaty from outside the car given the chance you can get on it.

#10 ·
My friend runs it on his 07 Wagon, its very much like one of the Borla exhausts, and if I remember right is made by them also. I just know it was kind of pricey, and for his it was really only an axle back, even though it was labeled as a cat back. If you are getting just a CBE its really hard for them to void your warranty for much, but I know that it can happen.

#11 ·
If you want to go sleeper status, there are three more cat back exhausts that you might want to check out: Perrin Stelth Series, Megan Racing Type 2, and Apexi Noir. I believe all three are single tip, black finish, and non-angled. I think if I ever get a fix-it ticket for my HKS Carbon-Ti angled canister fart can big momma exhaust, I'll seriously consider getting one of those three. Just a few more options for you to think about...

#15 ·
Turbo XS stealth is also an option. It will replace the DP and mid pipe and you use the stock axel back, or any that you choose. I run the stealth setup on the street and swap to the RFL when I go to the track.
I run a wagon so the sound level isn't bad and should make the swife happier.

#16 ·
Im pretty sure I will be getting the Cobb catback. It has great sound, future parts match up well and the CBE bolts right up with the stock parts. Also, if I get the Cobb AP they have maps that correlate well with their parts. Thanks for all your input, but I would ask if anyone has the Cobb setup and they have pics if they could post them. I like how it looks but I just want to see how it looks on different colored cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.