Catback exhaust effect MPG? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ellenberger1991 is an unknown
Catback exhaust effect MPG?

I was just wondering if putting on a catback exhaust will lower MPG? I checked it when i first got my 03 WRX and I was getting 28Highway/22 havin fun around town and didn't check it really till after i installed my exhaust cause it seemed like i was getting less. Now the best i can get is maybe 25H/20C. Could that be my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2011, 09:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Your really gonna want to do a ton of research yourself.
this is all that I found after an hour and a half of searching the correct answer for you
.....someone put just a catback on and tried it and got 2 mpg improvement
....and others were talking about getting tuned for better mpg.
... keep in mind that our cars ecu's take a learning curve that may take some time, which means that if you change something, than your car will need to feel out the new part or fluid to run it efficiently.(if not tuned for it) although cat backs dont need a tune

I had even saw somewhere in my hunt that a guy had a super cheap GF who was running 87 in her wrx ...well, her ecu learned the 87 and got her 23 mpg, and when he talked her into upgrading to just 89 she only was gettin like 18 because the ecu was trying to keep from knock and didnt realize the improvement right away, because 89 was new to it and it had not learned it yet(though it was better). Even 93 would have taken time to learn after knowing 87 for so long. Thus tunning for 93 would be appropriate at this time.

I am only using this scenario so you can maybe take in the learning curve of our cars.

anyway, keep on looking at different companies info and search all the forums till your eyes hurt.
GL.....CHEERS

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ellenberger1991 is an unknown
Ah i see and get what your saying. is there anything i can do to speed up the learning curve? Like resetting the ecu? Or like using a tune from a Cobb Accessport? But thanks for the info so far though, it really helpped thanks!
#4 Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Im ###### not the guy to ask since I still need to do a little more homework on this subject myself....just do what I do and READ...READ...READ!!!! good luck and I hope you get your definite answers soon....CHEERS!!

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 04-24-2011, 10:29 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellenberger1991 View Post
I was just wondering if putting on a catback exhaust will lower MPG? I checked it when i first got my 03 WRX and I was getting 28Highway/22 havin fun around town and didn't check it really till after i installed my exhaust cause it seemed like i was getting less. Now the best i can get is maybe 25H/20C. Could that be my problem?
If your exhaust cost you 2-3mpg there are only three possibilities:
1) You are using your right foot more
2) The exhaust has some kind of blockage in it. A big one.
3) Something else in your car broke at the same time.

Or the other option, which would be you're not accurately comparing mileage before and after due to different driving patters.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
1) You are using your right foot more
I'm going with this. Subconsciously of course.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#7 Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
+2

AND most people will experiment with drone, rumble...etc... by putting it at different RPM's to get the sound they want... You might actually be moving faster all through the band.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#8 Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
+3, I think when everyone first puts on an exhaust their MPG's go down because their driving habbits change due to being able to now hear the exhaust.

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
#9 Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
+4 hahhaha, now that you guys got me thinking about it...back in the day I would drive through tunnels and under bridges just to stomp it..^so yeah...very true,
Been a while since iv done those kinda things tho.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 05-16-2011, 05:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

4kita is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
+4 hahhaha, now that you guys got me thinking about it...back in the day I would drive through tunnels and under bridges just to stomp it..^so yeah...very true,
Been a while since iv done those kinda things tho.
I thought I'd out grown those day too... the thing that gets me, is that my car is quite quiet until going under a bridge or something, & then it like "Is that MY exhaust?"

But there's another possible... driver confidence! once you get used to a new car you tend to give it a little more!