Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cat back install

16K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  NegrinSTI 
#1 ·
Im going to install a new catback on my 04 wrx. The installation seems pretty simple but im just wondering if there are any how to threads out there or if anyone could give me a rundown of what exactly is the best order to do things.

Thanks for your help

#3 ·
Yep, Matt's pretty much right. It's really very simple: unbolt the old one and pull it off the hangers and install the new one in the reverse order - hang it and then bolt it up. Sometimes a little multipurpose spray lube or grease helps with the rubber hangers if they're stubborn. Make sure you use a fresh downpipe to cat back gasket too because you don't want any leaks.

I found it convenient to back the rear of the car on to a set of ramps to give me a little more room to move under it, but a jack and jack stands would work too - you can lift it from the rear differential. Or if you're filthy stinking rich or have some kind of hook up, a professional lift would work too. I've also heard of people installing a cat back with the car on the ground if it hasn't been lowered. Just get creative and you'll figure out what will work for you. Post some pics if you can when it's installed and give us a review of the brand/model you decide to go with.

#7 ·
Um, gaskets are good to check and possibly have handy too. I had to switch to a donut style when I swapped the downpipe on my last car. I didn't have to do anything when I put on the CBE though with the stock downpipe. I guess that depends on if you did that already then, eh?

Oh and undo the bolts, then take down the hangers. That will simplify getting the bolts off. I think that would be known already, but no one said it. . . That's all.

#8 ·
thanks everyone! i just put it on yesterday and had no problems at all. the biggest pain was getting the old bolts off. they were pretty much seized on and just broke off pretty much. I put on a catback i got from ebay. money is kinda tight so i thought id give it a try. it was only $220 with shipping. I would HIGHLY recommend this exhaust. the sound is absolutely great. sounds very, very low exactly how a subaru should sound. its louder than stock but not stupid loud or loud enough to get annoying at highway speeds. the name of the ebay account i bought it from was "japanimportshop" or something very close to that. very quick shipping and 100% satisfied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.