Can't Decide - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-20-2005, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

scottcas is an unknown
Can't Decide

Hi Everyone,

I have read and learned lots on this site, but I just can't decide. I'm only doing a couple things to my car because I want it to stay reliable as it is a daily driver, but I can't decide what to do first. Here's what I'm going with. Cobb access port and Helix up and downpipe with cat into stock muffler. I don't want the noise of after market. Should I get the access port first or the up / down combo first? I have the money for one now and they both end about around the same price.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2005, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
You will notice more gains from changing the exhaust.

Also, Cobb makes certain maps for certain mods. I wouldn't recommend running a map that is made for mods you don't have yet.
#3 Old 04-20-2005, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

300hpwrx03 is an unknown
so if you want to do more to your car and you have an access port made only for the mods you have then do you have to buy a whole new access port for the other stuff you put on?
#4 Old 04-20-2005, 11:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You have to have it reflashed. So you will have to take it out and send it in again.

Or you can get a UTEC and just click a few keys and be good to go....
#5 Old 04-20-2005, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

T_DOT_WRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcas
Hi Everyone,

I have read and learned lots on this site, but I just can't decide. I'm only doing a couple things to my car because I want it to stay reliable as it is a daily driver, but I can't decide what to do first. Here's what I'm going with. Cobb access port and Helix up and downpipe with cat into stock muffler. I don't want the noise of after market. Should I get the access port first or the up / down combo first? I have the money for one now and they both end about around the same price.

Thanks for the help.
Are you getting this stuff from a local supplier or via the U.S.?
#6 Old 04-20-2005, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

blackwrx03 is an unknown
you wouldnt have to get a whole new ap, or send it back alls you would have to do is download the new maps from your comp to your ap its that simple.
#7 Old 04-20-2005, 02:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

scottcas is an unknown
I will be getting them via the us, nobody in canada sells them as cheap as I can get them in the states. Even if I pay duty it's cheaper.

On the access port thing, I thought you could just download the map you want? Maybe I'm wrong I'm all new to this stuff.
#8 Old 04-20-2005, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

I may be wrong. I don't keep up with Cobb stuff because I feel they are inferior. But, if you can change maps, you could go ahead and get that first. But, you will still see a bigger gain from the exhaust than you will with the Access Port.
#9 Old 04-20-2005, 03:14 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
does it screw up the stock ECU more than just CEL stuff if you put in a TBE? Will it still try to hold the same stock hp characteristics?
#10 Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
The AP maps for the indicated mods, take away the CEL's that are associated with the indicated mods. Yes you can just download a new map and upload, all in a matter of about 3 minutes. Don't need to send it back. I have been very happy with my AccessPORT, and once the ProTuner comes out and I get a map made for STX and one for street, I will be very happy .
#11 Old 04-21-2005, 07:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

forsaken is an unknown
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the help.

You should definitely look into the Cobb AP. Especially if you are just looking for a reliable upgrade path w/o having to have intimate tuning knowledge. And if you ever decide you want to go outside of Cobbs upgrade path, im sure by that time the Cobb Streettuner and Protuner will be mature products to cover you on that.

I would get the AP first personally. I hardly noticed a difference when i put a whole turboback in w/o EM. When i flashed with Cobb to Stage 2 with that setup i noticed a major increase in power.
#12 Old 04-21-2005, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

skiingjohn is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to skiingjohn
Well I was thinking that this summer I'd get the Cobb Stage 2 stup which is a turbo-back and the AccessPort. They were both designed together so I was thinking that that would be the best combo.
#13 Old 04-21-2005, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_2NR is an unknown
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the help.

I have been currently running this this EXACT setup you speak of. Helix up and down with stock muffler and AP.

The car runs great! No problems in 1-yr 3-months.

It is a very good solution for a reliable setup
#14 Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

wingless is an unknown
My .02 worth: get the AP first.

I ordered Cobb's stage 2 kit in Feb 04 (only had the car 5 weeks before I caught the modding bug!). Love their products but customer service sucks. They shippped my AP in April, the cat-back portion in May, and I finally got the downpipe in Sept (7 months later!!!) I reflashed to 93 oct stage 1 as soon as I got the AP & saw noticable improvement. Installed catback a month later - sounded nice but no change in power. When DP finally came in & I remapped to 93 oct stage 2 things really got interesting! Don't even ask about stage 3 - the thing's stupid fast now!

According to dyno graphs on Cobb's website, stage 1 is good for 260 HP & stage 2 is supposed to be 285 - of course that's not WHP. Only complaint about AP is there are no maps for FMIC. If I replace my intercooler next year as planned I'll have to upgrade to the StreetTuner for $400.

I don't have access to high speed internet, and I can remap my ecu in less time than it takes me to download a new map. Oh yeah, the last map update even shut off entire seatbelt warning system. Happy camper.
#15 Old 04-22-2005, 11:23 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I am going to have to disagree. Cobb's customer service is great, at least for me when I call w/ questions. Sounds like they were just out of stock of the stuff you ordered.