Subaru WRX Forum banner

Buying stage 3 mapping vrs tune shop

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  brfatal 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

Was looking on opinions as to whether I should take my car into a tune shop (running on dyno), or would it be just as effective to get a stage 3 mapping for the car instead? I have done some research and have found similiar setups that go with a stage 3 mapping.

About the car:
2004 wrx w/ brand new factory long block
vf48 turbo
750cc dw injector
255 lph walbro fuel pump
headers
cateless up pipe
3" down pipe
3" greddy exhaust all the way back
tgv deletes

tranny:
ACT 12lb flywheel
6 puck ACT clutch
clutch delay delete

Thanks for the help.

See less See more
#4 ·
For the love of all that is holy. You're going to crap that transmission out if its a aggressive tune and you drive it aggressively with a 6 puck clutch on stock gears. My old 06 WRX TR that I sold. The next owner put pretty much the mods on you're describing minus the clutch and flywheel. Got it tuned at my tuner and the young kid called back in 3 weeks saying his transmission is toast. The kid made about 320 something whp and 320 something wtq and his aggressive driving blew up the gear box.

#6 ·
The older (02-07) WRX engine is pretty capable with a good tuner and quality parts. However the same can not be said about the transmission. Now depending on driving habits and maintainance practices you could be alrite. Just be mindful when you are wanting to launch or drive the car spiritedly.

#14 ·
I put over 8k miles on my stock clutch with a 20G. And it had almost 10k on it from stg2, and about 6k with stg one. And Im very sure it would have lasted longer if I wold not have mistreated it as much once the 20G was put on it. But dont get anything too grippy or you will be getting gears sooner than later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.