burning oil - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-02-2003, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
Unhappy burning oil

hey everyone! i just got back from lake placid new york and i have a little problem.. the screw and washer in my oil pan always had a lil drip of oil comeing out of it.. i tried tighting it with everything.. but it always leaked a little.. when i came home from vactaion (i drove my car up and back) it was fine.. then when i came back from my friends house i smelled burning oil and i just thought i was the guy in front of me.. but when i got home i saw a lil tiny bit of smoke comeing from my hood... i opend it and saw smoke not think but a little bit of smoke comeing from the down pipe and turbo.. then i check my oil and it was about a quart low i barly had any oil on the dip stick... i doubt very very much it could of leaked that much from my oil pan.. but i have no idea why it would be burning oil.. and when i put a quart in it still did it when the oil level was right on.. i have no idea what could be causeing it soo iam bring it to my suby dealer.. all i have in it is a turboX utech.. but its on stock mode because iam waiting for my perrin up and down pipe... do you think they would care about a utech or should i try to hide it? well i hope everything turns out ok.. if you have any help i would be very greatful..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-02-2003, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
oh yeah i called my dealer and they said subaru doesnt recommend useing sythetic oil.. i think that is a bunch of BS because right in the manual it says sythetic oil can be used..
post #3 of 6 Old 09-02-2003, 09:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

EJ20 is an unknown
I have the same problem. But, I don't really think it's a problem. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, too. after about 5-7k miles the oil starts to read low then I just add one quart of oil and it's basck to full. It's wierd isn't it?
post #4 of 6 Old 09-02-2003, 10:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

natorade is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to natorade
Sorry it's kind of off the subject here, but where are you from in New York? I am about 30 miles north of Lake Placid in Plattsburgh, NY. Just curious how many locals are on here. Thanks

natorade
post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2003, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
we have a house up there..and we go there everyother weekend.. but iam from nj it takes me about 4 hours to get up to lake placid.. but its worth it.. its a whole different world up there... plus the best fishing i ever had..
post #6 of 6 Old 09-02-2003, 11:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally posted by WRXblurr
oh yeah i called my dealer and they said subaru doesnt recommend useing sythetic oil.. i think that is a bunch of BS because right in the manual it says sythetic oil can be used..
One note DO NOT let them tell you the motor oil is the cause of the problem. That is BS. The oil meets SAE standards so it is OK to put in as long as you are using the recommended weight (5W-30 or 10W-30). They cannot tell you not to use synthetic oil it's against the law. SEMA has info here ---> http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=2223...ftermarket+law

They technically cannot even tell you not to use synthetic oil because of the law.