Subaru WRX Forum banner

Build 2.0 or go with 2.5 shortblock

62K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Ephry73 
#1 ·
Yoooo whats up subby people.

Im debating on building this POS 2.0 in my 02' , or spending the money and going with the 2.5 shortblock. I havent been able to find out how much power a built 2.0 can hold, and I know the 2.0 block is doo doo.

And I really dont care if this has been discussed 1000 times, I cant find it and also Im lonely while my wife is out prob getting impregnated by another dude.

So.. thoughts?

ps.. I just sold my srt4, putting down 450hp 445tq on stock motor, why cant subbys do this???

#2 ·
Who said they cant put down that much power? Its been done before, maybe takes a little more money or time, but you are comparing apples to oranges. The 2.0 actually revs a little higher than the 2.5, but doesnt make the torque the 2.5 can. But anyways, what is your intended use for the car? Dyno queen, straight line, Auto-x? What do you have done to the car? What is your budget?

#9 ·
Ive just heard the 2.0 has a weak block.

Mostly just drag racing it. Right now all it has is cobb stage 2, full turbo back, uppipe, MBC, Intake.

My other wrx had pink stis, gp moto headers, vf22, walboro 255, utec managment, full turbo back and uppipe, turboxs topmount.. and other stuff and all that thing would do is 280 to the wheels... i didnt get it

as for budget, i would say around 3-4k for now.

#11 ·
I have the video of my pump gas run... i have to find the one with 110

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=38763900">50 trim srt4</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=38763900,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=38763900,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

#5 ·
I was the same position about a year ago. I choose to build a 2.5L hybrid (EJ257 using 2.0L/EJ205 heads) and I love it. IMHO a 2.5L block with forged pistons, a mild cam upgrade (Kelford 264s or Tomei 252s), valve springs, retainers, etc is the way to go for a strongass block.

My build revs to 7500 rpm, holds power to redline due to my Kelford 264/264 cams, and I love it....its a blast to drive. I actually live in Cooper City (about 1 hour south of you), but my sister lives in Palm Beach Gardens so I am up in your area from time to time. Maybe we could set something up if your ever down this way or next time I come up and I could take you for a drive. B/c the best way to know what you really want is to see/feel it 1st hand.

Honestly, you really cannot go wrong with either a built 2.0 or 2.5L both can be great with the right turbo/setup. But, for me I will take the torque of the 2.5L all day, particularly moving in and out of traffic.

#8 ·
no idea man. with exhaust, intake and wastegate actuator, (we dont use boost controllers on srt4s) and a safc neo, i made 300whp 325tq stock turbo, stock fuel setup.

all that cost less then 1000 dolla.. but remember its fwd, i spun all the way thru 3rd and it really gets old after a while unless you like doing 80mph rolls all the time

#14 ·
it really is preference, the 2.5 will always have more torque....but that doesnt mean that the 2.0 doesnt create great numbers....what were you looking into doing a stock 2.5 swap vs building the 2.0? if so build your 2.0 and throw a 20g on there and you will be happy....problem with the 2.5 is the extra torque strains the stock transmission especially with a grippy clutch so becareful. and a tranny for a subaru is $$...i held around 340whp with a 4puck unsprung on a built 2.0 with minor head work.

#17 ·
#33 ·
I have an 02 wrx with a 2.0 ej205 installed and it's going bad already.... Any ideas on what engine to get for a good built? What's good for high hp and torque... Anything would help.... List of parts for a complete built would be great.... Have money saved up but not sure on where to head as far as a built

#34 ·
You mean a replacement EJ205? Because thats what comes stock in our 02 wrx. If you want specific advice you gotta give specific questions. How much HP is high HP to you? Power goals dictate build neccessity...necessity? I cant spell, but Im real gooder with the talky words.

#35 ·
But also you can research everything youd possibly ever want to know if you already have some stuff in mind. What do you mean by "goibg badly already" Whats going on? Already as in its a new engine or alreadyas in you just got the car? Is it stock or modified? See what I mean about those pesky specifics?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.