Subaru WRX Forum banner

Budget intercooler?

16K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Fidrat 
#1 ·
#3 ·
CXRacing is actually down in my neck of the woods, Ive seen a few pieces they make but without flow and charge temp data your kinda shooting into the dark hoping to hit something good.

Most Ebay (and ebay priced) units are all bling, as far as performance they are usually not worth their weight in aluminium scrap. If I were you I would wait till you can find a real performance IC on sale or just troll the forums for a good used IC.

#5 ·
If you go to my link and scroll down you will see all the flow and charge temp data,pressure drop too. I can go to the company web site and other sites and get the same unit. Just 'cause they sell it on e-bay does that make it instantly bad? I can get used STi units for $350 all day long on e-bay. Does that make them bad too? I'm not choosing up sides I just want to look at this from all angles. If it's too good to be true it usually is,right?...USUALLY.

#4 ·
I got the Fast Motorsports TMIC. Price was $395. I will be installing it next week. Welds look really good and almost looks like the TURBO XS ones I see everywhere. It also comes with the Y-Pipe and clamps

#6 ·
One of our veteran members, Psinuse uses a ebay tmic on a 20g and has no problems out of it. Bottom line is that its been proven that they are more efficient than stock. Still can have fitment issues and not as good as a name brand. They are a step up from stock but a step down from a quality brand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
Is there some sort of rush that you need an intercooler immediately? Why don't you wait a little longer save up a nice chuck of change then get a decent or good intercooler that you know will be good. I don't understand why people wanna be cheap when modding. If you don't have the money to mod then you probably don't have enough money to do the general maintenance that is important and necessary.

#14 ·
I have all the time in the world to look for an intercooler. I just did some costly general maintenance that is important and necessary. Like warped front rotors,leaking front axle shafts,timing belt change, tranny oil change and stuff. I had a $3000 budget and there went half of it just like that.

I used what was left over to get that sweet sounding Borla cat-back I've been drooling over for the last 11 years. I slapped in a walbro. I know , I'm doing things out of order but I started buying parts before I discovered all that other crap needed to be done.

I'm prepping for a tune in August. (3 paychecks in August)It's a 3,1/2hr. drive to my tuner and I want to be ready. I saved up for the rest of my exhaust then BAM!!! ROCK to the windshield! There goes the money for my downpipe.:crying: Now I have to start saving all over again. I'm running out of time for my first "faze" of my evil plan>:D in August. The 2nd "faze" of my evil plan includes P&P stock turbo rebuild from Bloush,(need a quick spool),bigger intercooler,scoop,splitter and 750cc injectors and another tune looking for 270whp?290whp? Some sways,a helmet,a CG-Lock then it's autocross here I come!:D I plan on doing this over the next 2 years,so I have plenty of time to look for the right intercooler.

#17 ·
"I slapped in a walbro". I have the BCS waiting in the box 'cause ya' can't drive around with that thing on without a tune. I'll slap that puppy on when I get to my tuner.

#16 ·
If using the stock turbo why not just go with STi pink's? When you decide to go with a bigger turbo I would see the need for larger injectors and fuel pump.

Is this something you have talked to your tuner about already? Maybe using that money in a different area at this time would be more useful. Like a 3 port boost controller or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.