Budget intercooler? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-21-2014, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Budget intercooler?

Trash or treasure?Cxracing Intercooler Tmic 02 07 Subaru WRX STI Impreza | eBay I don't have a lot of cash. how does this look?

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
As previously noted:

EBay TMIC tests - NASIOC

Do they flow more than stock? Yes. They are less restrictive. However due to low internal fin density they can't shed heat as well as more reputable cores.

Low budget? Find a used STI TMIC or wait for a good deal on used name brand.
#3 Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
CXRacing is actually down in my neck of the woods, Ive seen a few pieces they make but without flow and charge temp data your kinda shooting into the dark hoping to hit something good.

Most Ebay (and ebay priced) units are all bling, as far as performance they are usually not worth their weight in aluminium scrap. If I were you I would wait till you can find a real performance IC on sale or just troll the forums for a good used IC.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#4 Old 05-21-2014, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is an unknown
I got the Fast Motorsports TMIC. Price was $395. I will be installing it next week. Welds look really good and almost looks like the TURBO XS ones I see everywhere. It also comes with the Y-Pipe and clamps

05 WRX Wagon - East Coast Swappers Protuned "Stage 4" w/Cobb AP
#5 Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
CXRacing is actually down in my neck of the woods, Ive seen a few pieces they make but without flow and charge temp data your kinda shooting into the dark hoping to hit something good.

Most Ebay (and ebay priced) units are all bling, as far as performance they are usually not worth their weight in aluminium scrap. If I were you I would wait till you can find a real performance IC on sale or just troll the forums for a good used IC.
If you go to my link and scroll down you will see all the flow and charge temp data,pressure drop too. I can go to the company web site and other sites and get the same unit. Just 'cause they sell it on e-bay does that make it instantly bad? I can get used STi units for $350 all day long on e-bay. Does that make them bad too? I'm not choosing up sides I just want to look at this from all angles. If it's too good to be true it usually is,right?...USUALLY.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#6 Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
One of our veteran members, Psinuse uses a ebay tmic on a 20g and has no problems out of it. Bottom line is that its been proven that they are more efficient than stock. Still can have fitment issues and not as good as a name brand. They are a step up from stock but a step down from a quality brand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fine,"name brand" list please.

Do not include Process West. Anyone who pays that much for an intercooler needs to have their head examined!

cxracing.com: Top Mount Intercooler for 02-07 WRX STI, Overall Size:20"X11.5"X4.5",2.75"Inlet & Outlet Look Ma' no e-bay!!!

#8 Old 05-21-2014, 11:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
If you go to my link and scroll down you will see all the flow and charge temp data,pressure drop too. I can go to the company web site and other sites and get the same unit. Just 'cause they sell it on e-bay does that make it instantly bad? I can get used STi units for $350 all day long on e-bay. Does that make them bad too? I'm not choosing up sides I just want to look at this from all angles. If it's too good to be true it usually is,right?...USUALLY.
He clearly meany off-brand/cheapo intercoolers. A good, reputable TMIC brand new will run +$500. That's what everyone means when they call something eBay.

Reputable brands that (still) make TMICs:
TurboXS
Spearco
Process West
Perrin

The Process West core costs so much because it includes a new splitter. You can't use your stock one with a larger intercooler, you need a bigger one. If you don't replace it, a good deal of air will not pass thru the intercooler. eBay TMICs are externally rip offs of the TurboXS V1 intercooler made by Hyperflow. I had a friend who ran an eBay TMIC with his 20G and it was a restriction. Had it been the original TXS TMIC it would have handled what he wad fine. And then you have units like the Spearco, which can handle 35R setups.

The link I posted shows why a tube an fin STI TMIC will out perform an eBay bar and plate TMIC. It should be the other way around, as bar and plate is a more efficient design due to more surface area and less restriction, which is why all aftermarket cores use that layout.
#9 Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

How about GrimmSpeed? Boy, those STi intercoolers for $350 are lookin' pretty good right now.

#10 Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I sold mine, which was polished to a mirror finish, for $350. You can find them pretty regularly for $250ish.

Don't know anything about the GS unit.
#11 Old 05-22-2014, 12:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

Perrin dropped out back in 09 it seems. For 02-07 wrx. They are all out of my league anyway.

#12 Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Is there some sort of rush that you need an intercooler immediately? Why don't you wait a little longer save up a nice chuck of change then get a decent or good intercooler that you know will be good. I don't understand why people wanna be cheap when modding. If you don't have the money to mod then you probably don't have enough money to do the general maintenance that is important and necessary.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#13 Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Im not bashing on ebay, I have run businesses that sold strictly on ebay and i think its a great platform for sellers around the world, the problem is that it also attracts a great number of knockoffs and chinese copys because they do very little to regulate what is posted for sale. It wouldnt surprise me if you found a process west IC for 4-5 hundred dollars on ebay, just because its on ebay doesnt make it bad by association, I was using ebay as an adjective for poor quality.

That being said on the bottom of the ebay page i found some data that doesnt tell me anything about the inter-coolers ability to cool charged air. The data they offered was cfm and max operating temps. There was no indication of thermal exchange rate and thats what we really want to know, how well does it get heat out of your charged air.

I looked at some other forums last night and i came across a few guys that achieved noticeable power gains with cxracing inter-coolers. I don't think they are bad I just dont think they are great, and for 2 hundred more I would go with an STi unit if you can get a hold of one.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#14 Old 05-23-2014, 12:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

I have all the time in the world to look for an intercooler. I just did some costly general maintenance that is important and necessary. Like warped front rotors,leaking front axle shafts,timing belt change, tranny oil change and stuff. I had a $3000 budget and there went half of it just like that.

I used what was left over to get that sweet sounding Borla cat-back I've been drooling over for the last 11 years. I slapped in a walbro. I know , I'm doing things out of order but I started buying parts before I discovered all that other crap needed to be done.

I'm prepping for a tune in August. (3 paychecks in August)It's a 3,1/2hr. drive to my tuner and I want to be ready. I saved up for the rest of my exhaust then BAM!!! ROCK to the windshield! There goes the money for my downpipe. Now I have to start saving all over again. I'm running out of time for my first "faze" of my evil plan in August. The 2nd "faze" of my evil plan includes P&P stock turbo rebuild from Bloush,(need a quick spool),bigger intercooler,scoop,splitter and 750cc injectors and another tune looking for 270whp?290whp? Some sways,a helmet,a CG-Lock then it's autocross here I come! I plan on doing this over the next 2 years,so I have plenty of time to look for the right intercooler.

#15 Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
I didn't see a fuel pump. I'd think stepping up to the bigger injectors you probably should put a better fuel pump than stock unless you already have that or forgot to list it.

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ