Subaru WRX Forum banner

BOV Question

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Jave 
#1 ·
Just a quick question, I have a K&N Intake, and it makes a cool noise, I think its the bypass valve. I was wondering if i were to get a HKS SSQV would it sound good or would it sound goofy with the intake and the BOV.

#2 ·
There are a lot of threads on this topic already. However an atmoshperic BOV is not necessary and actually will rob you of power on a relatively stock WRX. Until you start greatly increasing your boost (ie a new turbo), it is mrely for show and noise. It can also be detrimental to the longevity of your motor.

#4 ·
mosc said:
time and time again people have shown that properly installed fully atmospheric BOVs do absolutely nothing good or bad to your performance or longevity...

I agree, I have kept quiet since Cosmo stopped posting frequently. There are 2 schools of debate on this issue, those that say you are rich for a split second and those that say that you are not. I believe Cosmo's post about have datalogged it and there not being a rich condition.

a good link to Rain_ Racer that has posted links http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=54270&postcount=8

#7 ·
the main reason to go with an aftermarket BOV is becuase they can hold more PSi than the stock one. As for making the stock VTA, I dont know if anyone has tried but I was thinking it might work if you blocked off the return line to the intake(I am not responsible for anything bad happening if you try this).

#8 ·
PJ WRX 09 said:
Just a quick question, I have a K&N Intake, and it makes a cool noise, I think its the bypass valve. I was wondering if i were to get a HKS SSQV would it sound good or would it sound goofy with the intake and the BOV.
as for answering your question, I have a similar setup, only I had my BOV first(about 1 year) and just installed my intake about a month ago. there is a slight delay between the 2 noises which was odd at first but I like it.

#11 ·
dumdum said:
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=73749&postcount=24
It could possibly affect performance as stated by two very known PROFESSIONALS. 100% VTA's more so than 50/50 ones.And if you set it incorrectly it will affect your cars idle and possibly cause stalls.
During track conditions(like in your link) I could see how the rich condition might be a problem. But 95% of us here dont track or might go to the drag strip on the weekends and could very easily switch back to the stock BOV if there was a issue. I can only speak for my self but I have not had any adverse affects installing a VTA BOV my car.

#13 ·
Ok sooo BOV does not CHANGE AFR or affect the performance?

My BOV made my car run rich and started to stain the back of my bumper. took car to dealer to get service "1st FREE oil change" and they told me its running rich and im loosing boost. "Which I noticed" so there for my experience with a BOV is bad.....there no good and just for noise.

#14 ·
ManicsWrX said:

My BOV made my car run rich and started to stain the back of my bumper. took car to dealer to get service "1st FREE oil change" and they told me its running rich and im loosing boost. "Which I noticed" so there for my experience with a BOV is bad.....there no good and just for noise.
There is no possible way a BOV could cause that much of a change in AFR if the BOV was installed correctly and was in proper working order.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#15 ·
For what it's worth, I have a local friend here running two different BOVs on his car. He has a wideband from TurboXS and it doesn't affect his A/F. It was never even a concern that it would. He's running a Forge and Worx I think, I'm running and HKS SSQV, and I have another friend running a TurboXS RFL. None of us have the slighest problems with them.

#16 ·
ManicsWrX said:

OK well I have a completely catless setup with a SSQV and I have no bucking, no backfiring and no black buildup on my back bumper. That is just your experience with the RFL BOV. ANd this is just my experience with my SSQV BOV. That being said the only thing to do is try a BOV if you want and if you experience issues, go back to stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.