BOV Issue - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

04psmwrx is an unknown
BOV Issue

hey guys im new to the subaru world but im not new to bovs and aftermartket parts. I bought an 04 wrx completely stock with 135000 miles on it. the ca had a blown head gasket and blown turbo I ended up buy the car for a little over $4,000. I ended up having a brand new ej205 motor put in. everything is brand new turbo seals everything. I bough a hks bov limited edition and put it on. I got the Flange that bolts up to the tmic. after i installed you i started noticing some weir things. my car was idleing crappy and you can't hear the bov unless your above 7k rpms and even then its super quite. my question is do i need a cobb ap to tune it or am I missing a gasket some where? I'm also wanting to do a hks carbon ti catback would I need the AP for that?

here is a little history of my car background.
my first car was a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX i bought the car stock in 2008 from a 60 year old man with 50,000 miles on it. when I got the car I put on a huge FMIC custom turbo back exhaust a greddy rs bov and an hks intake. not long after that i upgraded the turbo i put on a evo iii and walbro fuel pump. in the summer of 2010 i decided it was time to reallt get serious with the car so i had a full motor built and everything upgraded ill put the list of everything below
6 bolt swap
Manley Platinum Pistons
Manley "Turbo Tuff" I-beams
ARP 2000 Rod Bolts
ACL Tri-Metal Race Main & Rod Bearings
ATI Super Harmonic Damper

.5mm Oversized Stainless Valves
Manley Valve Springs
Manley Titanium Retainers
Manley Valve Locks
ARP Head Studs
Mitsu MLS Headgasket
Brian Crower Stage 3 280* Cams
Unorthodox Cam Gears
Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley Set
Prothane Motor Mounts
Taylor 10.44mm Plug Wires
BR8ES Plugs

Forced Performance 3065 Turbo
Tial 44mm External Wastegate
Tial 50mm Blow Off Valve
Forced Performance Race Exhaust Manifold
Forced Performance SS o2 Housing
Apexi N1 3" Turbo-back Exhaust
SBR FMIC w/ 2.5" Piping

Hogan SMIM
Evolution 8 MAF
Forced Performance Intake Pipe
K&N Air Filter
Hallman Boost Controller

Fluidyne Radiator
Slimline Fans

ECM Link V3
GM 3.3 Bar MAP Sensor
AEM UEGO Wideband
FIC 1150cc Injectors
Walbro 255 intank pump
Walbro 255 inline pump
-6an SS Fuel Lines
Venom Hi Flow Fuel Rail
Fuel Pressure Regulator

TRE Stage 2 Performance Transmission
4 Spider Center Diff
ACT 2600 Clutch
ACT Streetlite Flywheel
3 Speed Scattershield
SS Clutch Line
Shifter Bushings
Tokico Illumina Shocks
Eibach Springs
Cross Drilled Rotors
SS Brake Lines

HKS Turbo Timer
Stewart Warner Boost Gauge
VDO Cockpit International Series Gauges
- Oil Pressure & Water Tempature
Greddy Counter Weight Shift Knob

sold 3/31/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-12-2011, 12:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
The car doesn't need a BOV on these and the cars don't generally run all that happily with them. Did you check to make sure the vacuum line to the smaller fitting is connected with no leaks? It sounds like the actuator vacuum line has a leak. Then make sure you have a plug in the recirc pipe. These cars will not work like a DSM if you don't cap that hose.

#3 Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

04psmwrx is an unknown
i have already capped the recirculation hose. and i used the adapter for the vacum that came with the bov kit.
#4 Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
You asked about having an ap but to answer your question...no you won't need one. If you are gonna run with a bov, you may need to adjust it. Im not all that familiar with them because i run the stock bypass valve. But i do know that some will need adjusting. oh and you may check at the bov flange to make sure you have a good seal there. Sorry i don't have any more info. Hope you get it fixed man! Good luck.

Ps. are you getting boost? If so do you have a boost gauge? If so what boost are you hitting?

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#5 Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I myself came from DSM. 10years of gst's tsi's gsx's. And Im gonna tell ya what you dont really want to hear. Get rid of the HKS SSQV!!!. your car does NOT like it!.

When I got my WRX just a few months ago I did the same exact thing even though I had read in the forums no to. I should have listened because that was just money wasted that I could have spent elsewhere. But what I did do there after was find a nice substitute, the TurboXS RFL. my car runs just fine with that. the thing with the SSQV is it doesn't hold a very good seal at all where the RFL does. So if you really do want a BOV than I will recommended that one...just make sure that your gasket at the tmic is in place and that the vacuum line is on tight, if its not snug it will also start to run shitty!!

You will hear time and time again that there is no need for a bov unless you have huge gains under you hood but I cant live without my PsssssHHHH!!!! And a lot of guys will tell you to put your stocker back on, but yet again, thats all in your personal taste. But I will suggest you do so until you have a diff BOV other than the SSQV, ### your just gonna stall out and look like a douche.haha.......GOOD LUCK...CHEERS

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#6 Old 04-12-2011, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^^ +1

Kevin.
#7 Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

My '02 already had the RFL on it when I bought it, and it ran fine. I liked the whistle sound the HKS gave though, and I did that on my '08. I didn't have any idling problems, but every once in a while I'd get some popping from the exhaust. That did make me feel like a d bag, but not enough to make me uninstall it. The ex-wife also loved the sound and wanted me to get it. I haven't installed a BOV on my STi and I'm finding I actually can live without the sound.

#8 Old 04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

04psmwrx is an unknown
hey guys thanks for the replies. i took my car in on saturday just have some stuff looked at casue i thought things were wrong turns out the the speed sensor and a few other sensors were bad. i had them all replaced and now everything is perfect. the car runs amazingly and the bov sounds amazing! (: what are you're guys take on a cat-back or turbo back. should i buy a AP or dont waste the money on it
#9 Old 04-13-2011, 04:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
your only going to get away with a cat-back without a tune. If you do turbo back then you will NEED one.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
don't waste the money on an AP go opensource!

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#11 Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

I run a Cobb ap and i love it. But it really depends on how far you wanna build your car. I would agree with Matt but only if you are gonna mod your car like you did with the dsm. If all you wanna do is exhaust and bov i would say accessport is a very cheap and easy option. Imho. I've just been running stage 2 ots map for about a month now and its a very nice upgrade and since i live 5 hours from the nearest awd dyno it was the easiest way for me. I will eventually be doing some fuel system upgrades and possibly an e85 tune. But like randy was saying...you can do the catback and be fine without a tune But if it were me I would spend an extra couple hundred and get a downpipe also. The Oem one is horrible it has a steel plate covering half of the turbo outlet. good luck with the car man.

Kevin.
#12 Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Just don't run the OTS map for a long period of time Kevin. I mean like close to 2 years...it could come back to bite you in the ass. A protune is always better than a OTS map.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#13 Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
I run a Cobb ap and i love it. But it really depends on how far you wanna build your car. I would agree with Matt but only if you are gonna mod your car like you did with the dsm. If all you wanna do is exhaust and bov i would say accessport is a very cheap and easy option. Imho. I've just been running stage 2 ots map for about a month now and its a very nice upgrade and since i live 5 hours from the nearest awd dyno it was the easiest way for me. I will eventually be doing some fuel system upgrades and possibly an e85 tune. But like randy was saying...you can do the catback and be fine without a tune But if it were me I would spend an extra couple hundred and get a downpipe also. The Oem one is horrible it has a steel plate covering half of the turbo outlet. good luck with the car man.
except an AP isn't exactly cheap, it's actually almost the cost of 2 pro-tunes which if you built the car past stg 2 you would need anyways so your up to the price of 3 tunes and you only get 2, not to mention most tuners charge more to do custom maps for the AP vs. opensource, and your car will run better and usually get better fuel economy with the OS tune because your tuned to your own specific climate and fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Just don't run the OTS map for a long period of time Kevin. I mean like close to 2 years...it could come back to bite you in the ass. A protune is always better than a OTS map.
+1

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#14 Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah i have been reading a lot about e85. I have a station down the street from my house that sells it. I want a protune so i figure ill just up my injectors size and slap in a walboro 255 and while Im at it just tune for it.. prob won't build this car much past that. Its getting a little old. Milage is getting up there

Kevin.
#15 Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

My tuner doesn't charge extra to tune with the AP. I like having it with me to check on things and datalog. I guess it's more because I'm familiar with it because I've had an AP V2 on all 3 of my Subies. I like the "on-the-fly changes like launch control, flat foot shifting, and the monitoring capability without having to hook up a computer. I know I paid more than an OS tune, but I'm really happy with it as I'm not experiencing any downsides otherwise. I also like that my tuner will be making me a couple maps that I'll have saved on the AP so I can reflash while I fill up with E85 or 91. Just a couple things I like about it.