Bov - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 02-20-2005, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to absolutexk
Bov

Can anyone tell me which Blow off valves are the loudest? and which ones make that high pitch whistlin type noise during discharge... and not the WHOOSH.. or the CHIII sound...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-20-2005, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
TurboXS RFL is the loudest. HKS is high pitched. All the others don't work well, so don't worry about them.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-20-2005, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

jeff04 is an unknown
I have the turobo xs RFL, and it is "Really F****** Loud". If you want to be heard the rfl is the bov for you.
post #4 of 29 Old 02-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I have the HKS and it can be heard over my Perrin exhaust at full throttle... that's loud. Well, if you want to be technical, it's not really at full throttle since you'd be shifting at the time and that's when the BOV goes off... forget it, you know what I mean.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #5 of 29 Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
TurboXS RFL is the loudest. HKS is high pitched. All the others don't work well, so don't worry about them.

The GFB Hybrid is a good as well. As for the RFL, I've seen STi's with some Compressor surge issues, but nothing yet on the 2.0l. Oh yeah, and if you go HKS, they are all decent but the SSQV is by far at the top.

-kobi
post #6 of 29 Old 02-20-2005, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

wi_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wi_wrx
Turboxs RFL

I just ordered the RFL lastnight... hope it comes soon... cant wait to hear it...
post #7 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
I really wanna get a blow off valve, but my main worry is that stupid rich condition during shifts crap.... just that fact kinda really irritates me ### i looove the sound of the blow off valve... and i sure as hell dont have enuff money to get a UTEC to fix it.... but the thing that confuses me is that, i know 2 ppl who have BOVs on their WRX's and dont seem to ahve problems with them.. i heard one of them drive their car with the BOV goin off and i didnt hear his car fart or backfire... my other friends brother has a HKS SSQV on his car and my friend says he hasnt had problems wit backfires and such.. and the BOV is the only thing he has modified to his car... no other engine mods... neither does the other guy... so wats the deal!!! im so damn confused!! i dont know ### to believe!! !Cry!
im wondering tho, does havin an atmospheric BOV make the car lose performance due to that rich condition? like sayin im racing down the street, and im shifting really fast... will i really lose performance??
post #8 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
o yea and ### kinda sound does the RFL make? is it like a high pitch sound? or is it like a WHOOSH sound
post #9 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 08:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Okay. This is the last time I'll say it. A BOV DOES NOT MAKE YOUR CAR RUN RICH. At least, on all the cars I've put my wideband O2 sensor on (so far, 5 different cars).

So, you don't have to worry about that.

The backfires are a result of having no cats in the car, or your car being tuned too richly to begin with.

Oh, and by the way, the RFL sounds like a gunshot going off...
post #10 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

wi_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wi_wrx
They have a sound clip of the rfl on fastwrx.com

http://www.fastwrx.com/turrflbovkit.html
post #11 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
what is a wideband O2 sensor... ### difference does that thing make? where can i get it? wats the purpose?
post #12 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Measures your Air Fuel Ratio (AFR). Basically tells you if your engine is running rich, lean, or anywhere in between.

Unless you are doing something to change your AFR (like new engine management) you don't need one.
post #13 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

absolutexk is an unknown
i jsut heard alot of clips of the Greddy Type S BOV... its actually pretty loud, no? I know its a recirculating valve, but how is it as loud as it is? and i really like the whistle sound that comes off of it... would anyone suggest the Greddy Type S in terms of sound?
post #14 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Recirculating valves are usuallly pretty quiet. I have the Perrin on my car, and you can just barely hear it.
post #15 of 29 Old 02-21-2005, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kobiyashi is more helpful than not
The truth to the BOV question is THEY DO make CARS run rich at point of vent; just some more so than others. Subaru's don't seem to react to this quick burst of rich condition in any negitive ways (maybe a fuzz more backfire) but other cars do. RSX's as a rule can have some issues on outside venting, as well as RX7's, are very common in making the car BUCK very hard during shifts due to misfire. Several other cars (higher compression for sure) have issues unless... and I stress this... an after market fueling system that either removes the venting fuel spike or does not run off MAF calculation.

Does it matter to a WRX rich or not for maybe 100 cycles? No, but it does in fact cause a rich hit.

-kobi