Borla Hush Catback system - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Borla Hush Catback system

I have a 04 wrx and I was looking into getting a borla Hush exhaust since I heard many great things about them, being one of the quietest and stock looking exhaust systems out there. Here is my question though, I've also heard a lot of people have trouble with the fitment on the hangers, stating that it moves around while driving or even at idle. Does anyone have this exhaust system and can anyone elaborate on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Calvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Haven't had any problems with mine. Here is what I would do though if you get the Borla Hush. The flange that comes with it is 2.5", find somewhere that sells it with the 3" flange as well. This way, if you don't have an upgraded downpipe, then when do you, you'll have the 3" flange to swap, otherwise, you won't be able to hook the Borla to your downpipe. Also, where I bought mine, they sold the hangers for like an extra $30, so I got those as well. Was real easy just to cut the old ones with wire cutters to take them off, and use some type of lube (ie: PB Blast) to put the new hangers on. It should only take 15-30 minutes to put the exhaust on, it really was that easy. I was able to drive the car up onto some tire ramps from the front, and do the whole exhaust that way.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

danjc18 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to danjc18
How quiet is the Borla "hush" I have an 06 and I get no sound. I want some sound but not something thats going to wake up the neighborhood when I come home at 2am. Does it still give decent sound?
post #4 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Ummm.. well, mine is on a Stage 4 setup, but I love the sound. It's definitely more of a rumble than a loud whine (love boxer engine). From what I've heard, they're supposedly 10db louder than a stock cat-back, but once you remove the cat's, it gets louder (anything besides stock will be loud without the cats). I'll send you a link to a video of what mine sounds like, but keep in mind that the downpipe is upgraded, etc, etc
post #5 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Cool thanks for the info. I already plan to get the Helix Up and downpipe just that the downpipe is gonna be catted and then the borla hush. I believe the Gruppe-S sells it with the 3 in flange so it should be cool, I just hope that I don't run into fitment issues with this setup and I'll probably buy the 3 inch flange since the Helix downpipe is a 3inch. Hey fast_dak do you have a link to where you got the hangers? And how many did you buy? I also plan on getting a Cobb AP to tune it, but I heard the way the Cobb works, if I can find someone with a 04 wrx Accessport I can just use his/her to upload the map and I should be fine, is this true or do I have to get my own?

Sorry for the newb questions,
Calvin
post #6 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Speedogomer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Speedogomer
I like the way you think Strider, I'm ordering my Helix catted DP and UP with the Hush today, Accessport is already on the way. As for borrowing someone's accessport (AP) you won't be able to just load a map and give the AP back, once you use the AP on an ECU, the AP is "married" to the ECU and can only be used for that single ECU, the only way to use the AP on another ECU is to unmarry it and revert the first ECU back to stock.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
post #7 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Update: ordered the DP and UP, decided my bank account didn't need to take the extra hit of the CBE as well, next month maybe.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
post #8 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
http://www.mpjperformance.com/cgi-lo...y_Code=SENGEXH

That is the Borla hush with the 3" included in the pricing along with shipping. The 4 exhaust hangers are listed towards the bottom, $30.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

I asked Scoobytuner if I needed an adapter flange to mate the Helix DP with the factory CBE, they said no I didn't, that it would fit perfectly, I was under the impression I needed a 3" to 2.5" adapter. Anyone know anything about this?

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
post #10 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedogomer
I asked Scoobytuner if I needed an adapter flange to mate the Helix DP with the factory CBE, they said no I didn't, that it would fit perfectly, I was under the impression I needed a 3" to 2.5" adapter. Anyone know anything about this?
Is the Helix DP 2.5" or 3"? The flange on the Borla Hush is a 2.5", then the exhaust itself opens to 3". (which, having the 2.5" flange eliminiates any possible gains by a 3" exhaust). If the Helix DP is 3", then you will need the 3" flange adapter.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I'm pretty sure the helix DP is a 3 inch. So either way, you'll definitely need the 3 inch flange. I think the MJPeformance is the best and cheapest place to get the parts from. I just totaled up my total with the helix up pipe and the helix downpipe catted with the Borla Hush with the flange and the kartboy hangers for about $1071 including the Subaru Forum Member Discount, plus its free shipping. So its not that bad at all, and its close to where I live. Like 20 minutes away or so. Thanks for the link fast_dak, saved me like 100-200 bucks! Haha.

Calvin
post #12 of 18 Old 07-06-2006, 11:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider327
I'm pretty sure the helix DP is a 3 inch. So either way, you'll definitely need the 3 inch flange. I think the MJPeformance is the best and cheapest place to get the parts from. I just totaled up my total with the helix up pipe and the helix downpipe catted with the Borla Hush with the flange and the kartboy hangers for about $1071 including the Subaru Forum Member Discount, plus its free shipping. So its not that bad at all, and its close to where I live. Like 20 minutes away or so. Thanks for the link fast_dak, saved me like 100-200 bucks! Haha.

Calvin
NP ;-) I know they were pretty quick with it, I think I had it within 7 days of ordering it, including the weekend, so they were pretty quick on the delivery.
post #13 of 18 Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

By the way, will there be an CEL? I think the possibility is high that I will have one...which fix should I use to get rid of the CEL? The Helix one? Do you have another link for that as well? Thanks.

Calvin
post #14 of 18 Old 07-08-2006, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
The spark plug anti-fouler method is the method people seem to be having the most success with. I'd try that first as it seems the cheapest. I don't have a link but I bet someone does and I think the article originated on evolutionm.net.

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #15 of 18 Old 07-08-2006, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

theaxemaster is an unknown
Wait, so the factory catback is 3"? I know the helix catted DP is 3", but I was under the impression that the factory CB was 2.5" (hence the need for the 3" flange), which is correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement