Borla header and cat-back package - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-07-2003, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

davidborla is an unknown
Question Borla header and cat-back package

Hi,

This is David Borla from Borla Exhaust. I'd like to get some feedback from you guys regarding horsepower gains for WRX headers and cat-backs. What kind of power gains do you guys expect from an aftermarket header and cat-back package? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Founder

Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful Ludachris is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hey David - great to see you in the forums. I'm not sure I expect so much from those two components themselves. Five to ten hp would be nice from each. Personally, I'm more interested in how they work in conjunction with other upgrades (meaning higher hp levels). Of course, I may not be the majority though.

I think there's two types of enthusiasts - those who want to upgrade only their exhaust system for a little extra power. And those who would install headers - which means they'll probably do a whole lot more to the car in order to achieve big power gains. I would think you would want a couple different systems to target both goals.

-Chris
WRXtuners.com Founder
post #3 of 5 Old 02-10-2003, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I would be interested in seeing some headers for the WRX. I know HKS, Aqua, and a few other companies make them. But, I've always liked Borla stuff. I have a set of Borla headers and dual exhausts on my 67 Camaro, and I've never had any problems out of them. I would also like to see up pipes/down pipes from Borla. I'd also like to see how Borla's prices would compare with other companies. The cheapest header I've found is about $950 or so.

Hey, maybe Borla can use my car as a "project car"...
post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2003, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

ANFman is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ANFman
David -

I know that in regards to headers and exhaust...a handful or two gain in HP/TQ is nice...but, for my desires it is all about the sound. Borla is known across the "muscle" car market for the sound that your pieces put out. Something to make the boxer sound even more unique would be wonderful. Price is also a factor...but for the name and other intangibles, you can expect to pay more for a better crafted product.

Hope I helped out,
Joey
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2003, 10:43 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
After a couple of years of trial and error, most have found that headers have not produced the gains they were after, many lost power. Many have gone back to the oe manifolds.

Where the gains have been found are in replacing the uppipe and downpipe. After these pieces have been replaced, catbacks have been shown to add 10-15 hp. Without replacing the pieces, the catback only offers ~ 5hp.

I think one area that hasn't been exploited much is a quality exhaust w/ a good high flow cat incorporated in its design. A lot of people have concerns over emission testing ( I fortunately don't have those worries) and have hesitated upgrading there exhaust because of it. Just a thought.

Big Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement