borla exaust? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 01-28-2004, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

02 Blk Rex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 02 Blk Rex
borla exaust?

hey im looking to get a low budget cat back for my 02, thinking about the borla 2.5 cat back. i dont want anything loud, just want a deep throaty sound, is it a good choice, or should i go w/ the sromung muffler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-02-2004, 08:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Evo-Eater is an unknown
I just purchased the Borla 3" for my 04 wrx. it is AMAZING. I love the deep throaty sound it makes. It isnt THAT loud but it sounds alot more aggresive than stock. I love it and wouldnt trade it for the world. I did have to call borla though, and ask them if they had a 3" for the 04. They are a great company and i HIGLY reccomend them.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-05-2004, 02:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

KRZYKOREAN is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to KRZYKOREAN
IMO get 3 inch atleast...you dont need anymore then that but 3 is perfect..i hear the borla sounds very nice..and it is a little more affordable then others..
post #4 of 15 Old 02-05-2004, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

wags528 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to wags528
what would be the differences between the 2.5" and the 3"? . . im gonna purchase the BORLA in the spring but want to make sure I get the better one . . . .
post #5 of 15 Old 02-05-2004, 08:49 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Bigger diameter=more air flow=more power.

Although cat backs don't produce much power.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-06-2004, 03:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

KRZYKOREAN is an unknown
cat backs make power...i think 10-20 whp is making power
post #7 of 15 Old 02-06-2004, 08:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
HA!!! show me a catback on a WRX that makes that much power......

the stock exhaust on a WRX is not restrictive at all hardly, and at the most you will see a 3-5hp difference.

main reason people do catbacks on these cars is for sound.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-06-2004, 08:56 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Yeah Joey is right. You need the dp to make power and the uppipe to raise boost.

Like somebody else said, WRX's are different than most cars in which a cat back and cai add 20 hp.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 02:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

captnzippy is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to captnzippy
Hey Joey, I got that bosal dp installed awhile back and I have the Borla Hush Cat back BUT I kept the after dp cat. The laws are gettin NUTS out here in the west. Folks getting pulled over for even the appearance of a non stock muffler let alone if its quiet or not. Still have the up pipe too. The question here would I really see enough of a difference to risk taking it off now and putting a straight pipe in between the two systems? Track day this weekend for drag, the 29 is an autocross, lots going on soon out here in ABQ. C-ya.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 03:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

KRZYKOREAN is an unknown
if its the stock Cat then yeah a high flow or str8 pipe will yield performance.. the stock cat is very restrictive..
post #11 of 15 Old 02-10-2004, 08:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful BlueDemon is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to BlueDemon
Quote:
Originally posted by captnzippy
Hey Joey, I got that bosal dp installed awhile back and I have the Borla Hush Cat back BUT I kept the after dp cat. The laws are gettin NUTS out here in the west. Folks getting pulled over for even the appearance of a non stock muffler let alone if its quiet or not. Still have the up pipe too. The question here would I really see enough of a difference to risk taking it off now and putting a straight pipe in between the two systems? Track day this weekend for drag, the 29 is an autocross, lots going on soon out here in ABQ. C-ya.
Taking the midpipe out will not yield you very much power. The Cat in there is relatively small, and not all that restrictive. The most restrictive pieces on the stock exhaust are the uppipe cat and the downpipe cat.

Blue
post #12 of 15 Old 02-13-2004, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

brianbot is an unknown
Pipe diameter

Though it is true that bigger pipe diameter is needed to make more power, but only up to a point. The 2.5 inch pipes would be fine unless you plan on making like 300 HP, in which case it would probably make sense to go to the 3 inch pipes. The 2.5 inchers are good beyond what most people will ever use them for.

If bigger pipes automatically meant more power, then why not go 4 inch? Or 6 inch?? For the most part, the other limitations in the system make bigger pipes unnecessary.

Of course, if you get the 3 inchers you have the option of upgrading to the maximum level, but in that case why not just buy an sti?

Just my 2 cents. You can read more about this on Scoobysport NA's site.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 04:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

SodaDeek is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SodaDeek
I got a Borla Cat-back exhaust back in November. So far I love it, it makes the car sound great and it doesn't look too big or anything. I also took off the silencer around the same time. Which also is great cause you can hear the turbo, in my opinion.

The only bad part is the fact that now I get 30 miles less to my fuel milage . I think it is unavoidable if you make any sort of mods to your wrx.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Well, after going to a VF34, STi injectors, UTEC, fuel pump, etc. I get just about the same mileage.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-17-2004, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Sphinx1 is an unknown
I have a similar set up to Cosmo & my mpg has dropped from stock bigtime. I get about 200 miles per tank if I baby it. If I run it hard, forget it.