Boost surge - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-24-2012, 02:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

blazinbret is an unknown
Boost surge

So I'm new to the Wrx world. I just got a 02 and I put a grimmspeed boost controller aem intake hks bov and exhaust. I noticed when do a 3rd gear pull its goes to 20 pounds to 15 then to 12 then just like bounces back and forth to 12 to 15 pounds is this normal. What can I do to fix or will tune help that problem and what kind tune or programmer is good for these cars

Sent from my LG-P925 using AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-24-2012, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Why the boost controller?
#3 Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

blazinbret is an unknown
I got it for 50 new and help first and second pull more boost and pulls more boost then stock did but stock one still did the surging thing just from like 10 to 14 pounds

#4 Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinbret View Post
So I'm new to the Wrx world. I just got a 02 and I put a grimmspeed boost controller aem intake hks bov and exhaust. I noticed when do a 3rd gear pull its goes to 20 pounds to 15 then to 12 then just like bounces back and forth to 12 to 15 pounds is this normal. What can I do to fix or will tune help that problem and what kind tune or programmer is good for these cars
What's highlighted in green is your problem and what's highlighted in red is your answer...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
And it sounds like its the Grimmspeed MBC or is it the Grimmspeed 3 port bcs?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#6 Old 02-24-2012, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

blazinbret is an unknown
Its the 3 port bcs

#7 Old 02-24-2012, 08:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Please take that stuff off your poor car until you get a tune.
Or at the very least, get rid of the crappy HKS BOV. HKS is a great name, but the BOV's dont belong on our cars. I guarantee your car will run better when it has its stock BPV back on.....

We are not trying to bash you, just help you and your car, please listen to the ADVISE.

Thank You for your time

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#8 Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Uh, yeah. You need the car tuned for the 3 port bcs and I'm talking a custom tune. Otherwise you're going to have boost problems until it is tuned for. So, either take it off until you can get it tuned for it or run the risk of screwing up your car.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
1. You're modding your car further while you have undiagnosed problems?

2. You're running a part that you did no research on at all that needs to be tuned for and you didn't do that?

Some people should not be modding cars.
#10 Old 02-25-2012, 01:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
Please take that stuff off your poor car until you get a tune.
Or at the very least, get rid of the crappy HKS BOV. HKS is a great name, but the BOV's dont belong on our cars. I guarantee your car will run better when it has its stock BPV back on.....

We are not trying to bash you, just help you and your car, please listen to the ADVISE.

Thank You for your time

The BOV isn't ideal but other then some anoying afterfire issues it won't do any damage, the untuned 3 port on the other hand will ruin your poor car I suggest you take it off imedeatly and not drive even one more mile. If you do decide to leave it on with out a tune then you need to drive it like an old lady and not build any boost.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#11 Old 02-25-2012, 02:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ And smell the octane your running quite often, sputtering, stalling, than of course stalling out and being THAT guy at a red light.

Beast is so right as well, your cars brain...so to speak, doesn't know that your tricking it into higher boost levels, which you are. Our cars aren't meant to be tricked like that. They need a good Pro Tune for that kinda thing so the ECU can be on board with what cha got. Otherwise your giving it a function that it doesn't understand and potentially ruining more than you should be.

The list goes on and on why this is a bad thing, just please,......trust us

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#12 Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Huh I must be speaking Greek again....lol

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#13 Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I dont think the intake is helping any either man. Get yourself the stockbox and a drop-in.

And the 3 pbc it says right on the GS site.
"Note! You must tune for this hardware! Using stock or off-the-shelf EM with a 3-port solenoid
installed in interrupt mode will result in overboosting!" https://www.grimmspeed.com/install_g...ne_version.pdf

My advice is before you put anything on your car, do research,ask questions then do more research because guess work will only create problems and before you know it your trying to sell to your car on autotrader for 7k with 8k in upgrades that dont work right.

GL man.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#14 Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

mr mello is an unknown
I did a Grimmspeed 3 port BCS in my car, installed it in the tuning shops parking lot. The dyno pull looked like a wave from how many spikes and dips there are before the tune. Take it off immediately and get a pro tune if you want your car to last another month.
#15 Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
IIRC, you can run the 3port in 2port interrupt mode till you get tuned for it.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3