Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   Boost surge (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/boost-surge-32091/)

blazinbret 02-24-2012 02:33 PM

Boost surge

So I'm new to the Wrx world. I just got a 02 and I put a grimmspeed boost controller aem intake hks bov and exhaust. I noticed when do a 3rd gear pull its goes to 20 pounds to 15 then to 12 then just like bounces back and forth to 12 to 15 pounds is this normal. What can I do to fix or will tune help that problem and what kind tune or programmer is good for these cars

Sent from my LG-P925 using AutoGuide.com App

brfatal 02-24-2012 02:47 PM

Why the boost controller?

blazinbret 02-24-2012 03:12 PM

I got it for 50 new and help first and second pull more boost and pulls more boost then stock did but stock one still did the surging thing just from like 10 to 14 pounds

psinuse 02-24-2012 04:33 PM

[quote=blazinbret;276113]So I'm new to the Wrx world. I just got a 02 and I put a [SIZE="4"][COLOR="Lime"]grimmspeed boost controller aem intake hks bov and exhaust.[/COLOR][/SIZE] I noticed when do a 3rd gear pull its goes to 20 pounds to 15 then to 12 then just like bounces back and forth to 12 to 15 pounds is this normal. What can I do to fix or will [SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]tune help that problem[/COLOR][/SIZE] and what kind tune or programmer is good for these cars [/quote]

What's highlighted in green is your problem and what's highlighted in red is your answer...

turmic 02-24-2012 06:08 PM

And it sounds like its the Grimmspeed MBC or is it the Grimmspeed 3 port bcs?

blazinbret 02-24-2012 07:08 PM

Its the 3 port bcs

BLAZE2099 02-24-2012 08:12 PM

Please take that stuff off your poor car until you get a tune.
Or at the very least, get rid of the crappy HKS BOV. HKS is a great name, but the BOV's dont belong on our cars. I guarantee your car will run better when it has its stock BPV back on.....

We are not trying to bash you, just help you and your car, please listen to the ADVISE.

Thank You for your time;)

turmic 02-24-2012 09:27 PM

Uh, yeah. You need the car tuned for the 3 port bcs and I'm talking a custom tune. Otherwise you're going to have boost problems until it is tuned for. So, either take it off until you can get it tuned for it or run the risk of screwing up your car.

brfatal 02-24-2012 10:06 PM

1. You're modding your car further while you have undiagnosed problems?

2. You're running a part that you did no research on at all that needs to be tuned for and you didn't do that?

Some people should not be modding cars.

black beast2 02-25-2012 01:14 AM

[quote=BLAZE2099;276132]Please take that stuff off your poor car until you get a tune.
Or at the very least, get rid of the crappy HKS BOV. HKS is a great name, but the BOV's dont belong on our cars. I guarantee your car will run better when it has its stock BPV back on.....

We are not trying to bash you, just help you and your car, please listen to the ADVISE.

Thank You for your time;)[/quote]

The BOV isn't ideal but other then some anoying afterfire issues it won't do any damage, the untuned 3 port on the other hand will ruin your poor car I suggest you take it off imedeatly and not drive even one more mile. If you do decide to leave it on with out a tune then you need to drive it like an old lady and not build any boost.

BLAZE2099 02-25-2012 02:36 AM

^ And smell the octane your running quite often, sputtering, stalling, than of course stalling out and being THAT guy at a red light.

Beast is so right as well, your cars brain...so to speak, doesn't know that your tricking it into higher boost levels, which you are. Our cars aren't meant to be tricked like that. They need a good Pro Tune for that kinda thing so the ECU can be on board with what cha got. Otherwise your giving it a function that it doesn't understand and potentially ruining more than you should be.

The list goes on and on why this is a bad thing, just please,......trust us!Thumbs Up

psinuse 02-25-2012 04:28 AM

Huh I must be speaking Greek again....lol

AllExtinct 02-25-2012 06:27 AM

I dont think the intake is helping any either man. Get yourself the stockbox and a drop-in.

And the 3 pbc it says right on the GS site.
"Note! [COLOR="Red"]You must tune for this hardware![/COLOR] Using stock or off-the-shelf EM with a 3-port solenoid
installed in interrupt mode will result in overboosting!" [url]https://www.grimmspeed.com/install_guides/PDFs/boost_control_solenoid_Subaru_online_version.pdf[/url]

My advice is before you put anything on your car, do research,ask questions then do more research because guess work will only create problems and before you know it your trying to sell to your car on autotrader for 7k with 8k in upgrades that dont work right.

GL man. !Thumbs Up

mr mello 02-26-2012 10:45 AM

I did a Grimmspeed 3 port BCS in my car, installed it in the tuning shops parking lot. The dyno pull looked like a wave from how many spikes and dips there are before the tune. Take it off immediately and get a pro tune if you want your car to last another month.

pzr2874 02-27-2012 05:50 AM

IIRC, you can run the 3port in 2port interrupt mode till you get tuned for it.