Boost Level - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 02-02-2005, 10:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

jspecdan is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to jspecdan
1 kPa = 1000 Pa
so, multiply 0.76 by 1000, what do you get? 760 Pa

1 bar does not equal 1 kPa. I don't know where you learned that. 1 bar = 100 kPa = 100,000 Pa. I believe you're thinking of 1 kPa = 0.75 cm of mercury...

Your DTT is most likely reading it as 0.76 bar (~11 psi) which sounds normal especially since you haven't done anything to your rex.

Last edited by jspecdan; 02-02-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I checked a conversion chart and came out with the same number. Units are wrong, not the math.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#18 Old 02-03-2005, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Derrick is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecdan
1 kPa = 1000 Pa
so, multiply 0.76 by 1000, what do you get? 760 Pa

1 bar does not equal 1 kPa. I don't know where you learned that. 1 bar = 100 kPa = 100,000 Pa. I believe you're thinking of 1 kPa = 0.75 cm of mercury...

Your DTT is most likely reading it as 0.76 bar (~11 psi) which sounds normal especially since you haven't done anything to your rex.
But alot of them saying that for stock should be able to attain 0.9 or even 1bar. What say you? Any advise? Contempleting to fix a EBC, which brand is a good bet (HKS EVC or Blitz)?
#19 Old 02-03-2005, 07:23 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Don't spend the $$ on an EBC. If anything save it up for a full engine managment such as Cobb AccessPORT or UTEC.
#20 Old 02-03-2005, 07:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

jspecdan is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to jspecdan
true. but if you aren't planning on modding too much due to legal reasons, keep it easy and get a manual boost controller and a decent gauge...although be careful if and when you raise the boost.
#21 Old 02-04-2005, 12:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Derrick is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecdan
true. but if you aren't planning on modding too much due to legal reasons, keep it easy and get a manual boost controller and a decent gauge...although be careful if and when you raise the boost.

I just wants to enhance the driving by increasing some torque on my ride. I would like to keep my DTT-X as timer as well as boost gauge and add an EBC, what do you suggest? Blitz or HKS EVC as I heard Apexis AVCR are difficult to tune.

I'm not into changing any UP or DP, most probably the catback to get some bussy sound.
#22 Old 02-04-2005, 06:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

uc6starz is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to uc6starz
Red face 20psi

Hi Scooby dudes,
I have installed a manual boost controller to my stock tdo4 turbo. I have noticed that the turbo pressure peaks over 20psi and 1.45bar. I have measured these pressures via Autometer analog gauge and at the same time with DTT. I have push the turbo pressure over 20psi and the computer trips the fuel pump causing a check engine light. These pressures are just peak pressures but will not hold due to the wastegate. In short the tdo4 turbo is an excellent turbo.
Joe

PS. I hope I do not blow up my WRX
#23 Old 02-05-2005, 09:08 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
20 psi on the stock turbo and engine management????!!!!! And a cold air intake???!!! Wow man, I am not even going to say anything.
#24 Old 02-05-2005, 05:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

chuckwagon is an unknown
You should check the boost in 4th gear that is where you boost should peak or so I have been told
#25 Old 02-05-2005, 10:51 PM

I know TXS claims peak boost in 2nd gear at 4k RPM at WOT.
#26 Old 02-07-2005, 06:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx555 is an unknown
Hello WRX555,

Thanks for your kind reply.

My current ride (MY05 REX) read 0.76 kPa (measured by Blitz DTT-X and i presumed it will also reas as 0.76bar) and if I wants to boost say at 1 or 1.1bar without the uppipe but with the aid of EBC any harm to the TD04 charger?

Your feed back will be greatly appreciated before I invest in both the EBC and uppipe.

Thank you.

Hi derrick!

Boosting it to around 1 bar should not be a problem. 1 bar is supposedly what our WRX's should be pushing and raising it to that level would just be like making it "normal"

Based on how you are going to use your car, I would suggest purchasing a manual boost controller instead. Its a lot cheaper and it will get you the desired effect. As you said, you want better performance with a limit. The ebc is still viable but since you won't be going overboard, I don't think its worth the expense.

I highly suggest the uppipe. This will really improve your response.

#27 Old 02-07-2005, 06:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx555 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick

I just wants to enhance the driving by increasing some torque on my ride. I would like to keep my DTT-X as timer as well as boost gauge and add an EBC, what do you suggest? Blitz or HKS EVC as I heard Apexis AVCR are difficult to tune.

I'm not into changing any UP or DP, most probably the catback to get some bussy sound.

Hi derrick!

I suggest you change the downpipe instead of the cat back. The downpipe is the 2nd most restrictive part of the whole exhaust. (the 1st being the uppipe) Changing the downpipe will give you more power and better response. Also, by keeping the original cat back, exhaust noise will be minimized while not really hampering performance.

#28 Old 02-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Downpipe is the single most bang for the buck mod on the WRX. $300-$400 can get you 20-25 whp.
#29 Old 02-07-2005, 07:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Derrick is an unknown
Hi to both WRX555 & IBAUCLAPlaya,

Thank you for the advise. But changing both UP & DP (if w/o the cat) will be an offence in Singapore and if comes with better flow cat, it will be very costly, I presumed. The price of these item here is about S$750 (not branded of course)

I will seriously consider the these mod as my car will only due for the yearly inspection 3 years down the road since mine is only 2 months old.

Really, I heard alot of ill effect from fixing a MBC from some forum if not maintain properly as compare to EBC as there is safety feature to go back to base setting when over boost. But if I really wanted to go ahead with EBC, what brand do you guys suggest? In Singapore the price of EBC are:
1. HKS EVC EZ II (about S$950.00)
2. Blitx I-D3 (about S$1100.00)
#30 Old 02-08-2005, 08:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrx555 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick
Hi to both WRX555 & IBAUCLAPlaya,

Thank you for the advise. But changing both UP & DP (if w/o the cat) will be an offence in Singapore and if comes with better flow cat, it will be very costly, I presumed. The price of these item here is about S$750 (not branded of course)

I will seriously consider the these mod as my car will only due for the yearly inspection 3 years down the road since mine is only 2 months old.

Really, I heard alot of ill effect from fixing a MBC from some forum if not maintain properly as compare to EBC as there is safety feature to go back to base setting when over boost. But if I really wanted to go ahead with EBC, what brand do you guys suggest? In Singapore the price of EBC are:
1. HKS EVC EZ II (about S$950.00)
2. Blitx I-D3 (about S$1100.00)
Hi derrick!

Actually, ill effects from MBC comes from people not setting it up well and over doing the boosting. Aside from that, it is quite safe and reliable. Just fyi, our local tuner here has his own bug-eye WRX. He races his car and uses an MBC with no problem.

But if an EBC is your cup of tea, the HKS is a good choice. I have no feedback on the Blitz EBC though. One more thing, make sure the you set it up properly. The ill effects that you were fearing on a MBC can still come about even with an EBC.