On Board Diagnostic Testing? help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-25-2005, 01:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

jutjut is an unknown
On Board Diagnostic Testing? help

Hey everyone,

I am looking to upgrade my 2003 WRX wagon, by putting on a new up, dp, etc, but I have just found out my county does a gas cap leak check and an On Board Diagnostics Test? Does anyone know who this works, how to pass this test, how to deal with the Oxygen sensors to maintain functionality?

While I'm asking I thought I would ask for recommendations on what to do? I was thinking about getting a Helix UP and catted DP....but what should I do about the other cat in the system, what are recommendations...if possible I'd like to stick with the stock muffler and tips, but don't want to lose too much performance...what do you all recommend?

Also, can I get a new chip....Cobb, etc with this on board diagnostic testing?

Thanks for any info.
Jutjut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-25-2005, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

hondaeater is more helpful than not
Keep your stocker muff, it'll help keep noise down and keep you in sleeper mode.

THere are (EDIT) 2 EM solutions that can currently keep your entire OBDII system in check without the need of CEL fixes and the such. They are ECUtek and CObb. I would recommend a custom tune with either of those two options.
#3 Old 07-26-2005, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

jutjut is an unknown
ECU and more mods questions

If they do a visual inspection of the catalytic converter...do you think I can modify that and put something like a helix catted down pipe in there? Or are they going to inspect that it is a factory cat, all they inform us is that it is inspected.

As far as mods go, will the ECUtek allow the system to check off ok, or will it inform the computer that the sensors are not functioning? I know they turn the car off and just test for function of the engine light, then they turn on the vehicle and check the status of the system. They do no sniff tests...what mods can I do?

Thanks for all the help,
Justin

p.s.-how do I leave positive reputation points?

Last edited by jutjut; 07-26-2005 at 12:37 PM. Reason: mispelling
#4 Old 07-26-2005, 02:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

there are some exhausts out there that have a "cat" shield, to give it the appearance there is a cat, but there really is not. I don't see why you couldn't put a cat shield or something similar over the DP to give it the look like there is one. In terms of whether they blow the whistle on OEM vs. aftermarket cats depends on the shop. If they want to be real sticklers, they can say it has to be OEM. I personally run a completely catless system, we don't have any OBD or sniffer or anything really, i just went right through.

Both ECUtek flashes, AND Cobb flashes will do two things: they will block the CEL from illuminating due to lack of 02 sensors and EGT sensors, and they will also keep your OBDII system in a "ready" state, which is what they check for (I believe 2 out of the 3 systems they look for).

I don't know anything about the point system, sorry.
#5 Old 07-27-2005, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

jutjut is an unknown
more mods

Thanks so much for the advice on the downpipe and upipes. I checked out the ECUtek reflash and think that is where I am headed. I'm also going to put a rear sway bar in, buy camber bolts and adjust camber, and get some performance tires. In addition, I"m getting a short throw shifter and replacing the bushings below that. Are there any more mods that are going to be essentials for me?

I was planning on keeping the stock muffler to keep it in sleeper mode....but what products are out their to replace the catalytic converter that comes after the downpipe?

Thanks so much,
Justin
#6 Old 07-27-2005, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

skullvulture is an unknown
There are two cats in the stock downpipe and no more cats after that. An after market catted downpipe will replace both with one high flow cat.
#7 Old 07-27-2005, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

jutjut is an unknown
Is ECUtek one of the best reflashes out there? I hear they leave everything stock, so that all the OBD2 testing checks out ok. What am I going to be doing with the oxygen sensors when I do replace the downpipe and uppipe and all that? The OBD2 system in TN requires that the everything passes as active and ready.

Thanks,
Justin
#8 Old 07-28-2005, 05:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
As far as the point system goes Justin, just click on the icon next to the user's online status. It looks like the set of scales next to "currently online/offline".

Just remember though, with a reflash you'll need to keep doing it as your mods increase to get the full benefits of them.

Two of the more common ones are Cobb and Vishnu, they will both do your reflash for you.

www.cobbtuning.com
www.vishnutuning.com

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#9 Old 07-28-2005, 07:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

jutjut is an unknown
Still wondering what I am supposed to do about the oxygen sensors??? Is there something I need to buy when I buy my uppipe and downpipe? How do I keep the system active, I know my county won't pass me if the system says "not ready".

Thanks,
Justin
#10 Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

if you get a reflash, either ECUtek, OR cobb street or protuner, you will NOT NEED TO BUY ANYTHING ELSE TO KEEP CEL"S OR YOUR OBDII system in check. was that more clear?
#11 Old 07-28-2005, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

jutjut is an unknown
yeah that makes sense. I'm sorry I am such a newbie. But I guess I just am wondering how the oxygen sensors fit onto the new exhaust components, is there a spot to plug them in? What am I actually doing with the oxygen sensors in the installation? Sorry for being naive, and thanks so much for all your help.

Justin
#12 Old 07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

you're going to unplug them The rear 02 sensor, and the EGT sensor don't do anything worth keeping them for any way. My rear 02 and EGT are unplugged and i get no CEL's (i use no fixes or anything like that).

THe front 02 sensor stays. . .
#13 Old 07-28-2005, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

jutjut is an unknown
Sweet, that is easy enough. Where is the front O2 sensor? If I am going to replace the up pipe too...is that going to knock it out too? Is that going to be ok for OBD2?

So to sum up mods I'm leaning towards and get some affirmation
Performance Tires
short throw shifter
Rear Sway Bar/camber adjustment in front/back
Up pipe, down pipe, stock muffler and exhaust tips
ECUtek or Cobb reflash at the end

Are there any more mods that are essential that I might have missed....brakes, etc?

Thanks again for everything,
Justin
#14 Old 07-28-2005, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

the front sensor is at the end of the stock exhaust manifold. You shouldn't need to touch it to do the UP. The EGT is in the UP, and the rear 02 is in the DP (or midpipe, one of them you're replacing).

ECUtek and cobb tuning essentially make the ecu ignore that there's missing sensors, and make your ECU think everything is ok, including CEL's and OBDII "readiness".

I wouldn't upgrade brakes unless you're upgrading to bigger rims (you need bigger rims to fit bigger brakes).

your list should give you a nice stage 2 daily driver. . .since you're running the stock TMIC, i would also look into heat wrapping your UP, DP, and hot side of your turbo, and get a heat shield. It'll keep tons of heat out of your IC if you stop for 10 minutes or get stuck in traffic.

and get a custom tune, whether it's ECUtek, or Cobb protune, custom>off the shelf.
#15 Old 07-28-2005, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

jutjut is an unknown
How do I get the custom tune vs. off the shelf tune? Do local performance shops offer those service?

Thank you so much for all of your help, you have been so patient to reply to my knit picky newbie questions.

Thanks,
Justin