Blow off Trouble - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-04-2004, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Philo is an unknown
Blow off Trouble

HEy there every one,
I am wondering if anyone can tell me about Blow off valves. I am going to put one in my 02 WRX and I am wondering how to adjust it. LIke what does it mean when they say "you can set it hard or soft". I also heard if you dont tune it right it can ruin your turbo. If any one has installed one, PLEASE give me some advise. I can use all of it.
Thanks
Philo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-04-2004, 08:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
First of all, some have adjustments so you can set at what amount of pressure they blow off. Also, some can be set so that they open slowly or quickly. That is a matter of personal preference.

Second, I have never heard of anyone hurting their car running one. Some people say it makes the car run rich, but I have yet to see proof of that either.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-06-2004, 01:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

subieracer18 is an unknown
Venting the bov to the atmosphere will make the car idle like crap and run rich between shifts. I vented my bov the other night and the backfire between shifts was enough to recirculate it.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-06-2004, 12:24 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
The backfire between shifts was enough to recirculate it? What does that mean?
post #5 of 9 Old 10-06-2004, 12:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

what i meant to say was... the backfire that i was hearing between shifts was enough to make me recirculate it back into the intake.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-06-2004, 01:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXblurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXblurr
its not "back fire" its after fire.. its just what happens when you run a little rich in between shifts.. haveing a little flame shoot out of the exhaust pipe is pretty cool imo.. also a bov makeing a subby idle bad? unless the bov is opening while your car is at idle i dont see how you can have that problem.. i have a hks ssqv no problems what so ever.. no idle problems no problems in between shifts either.. only thing i get is a little after fire.. and if you think after fire is crazy with a stock turbo.. just wait till you upgrade to a bigger turbo and run more fuel ..
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2004, 01:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

so in order to vent, would you have to cap off the recirculating tube on the intake?...i was messing around and didnt cap it off, could that have led to the crappy idle?
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2004, 12:02 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Possibly. You do want to cap that recirc hose off otherwise dirty air will be taken back into the engine.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-08-2004, 03:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXblurr
also a bov makeing a subby idle bad? unless the bov is opening while your car is at idle i dont see how you can have that problem.. i have a hks ssqv no problems what so ever.. no idle problems no problems in between shifts either.
same here ...

"I hear Buschur Racing does WRX UTECs now ... oh buddy!"