Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blouch ported "Small"16G or VF48??

10K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  basco 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi I was wondering which would be a better turbo to have with my mod list because my vf34 crapped the bed and I just spent a bunch of money on the motor I dont really have enough to go big turbo, and I can get either for 700 or less and I was wondering which would be better.

UPDATE:
Well Now I am the Proud Owner of an FP Green (Found it on Craigslist)

#2 ·
Neither, while the VF series can be rebuilt it costs a lot, the small 16g wont give the power gains you want either but is cheaper to rebuild. In your case I would look on some local forums and see if you cant find perhaps a 18g or a evo16g. Those are bigger and will give you a higher output with supporting mods unlike either one of those turbo's your asking about.

Thats just my opinion though if you can hold out for a while. Each can be had for under 700 easily used.

#3 ·
well right now I'm not trying to max the motor because its built to handle a Red but I just cant afford it at this time so I'm trying to just get something to get me by

#5 ·
Is there any way you could run safely with a stock WRX turbo? I see them go for around $100 used ALL the time on craigslist, and it would really suck to spend 6 or 7 hundred now on a VF, when you could save just a few hundred more and go with a FP 18 or 20, especially since you are almost setup for it. Even if you have to keep your foot out of it to keep it safe, that is what I would do 100 times over before spending 3 quarters of a good turbo's pricetag on something just to get me by.

#6 ·
well I could run a TD04 its just that I couldnt stand the car being that slow...but after looking around this afternoon I found a Green for cheap on craigslist that im going to try and buy

#11 ·
well...I have decided that I will have it PnP'd and sent to FP to become HTA as well as upgrading my header and buying a larger uppipe and hopefully full spool will be around 3500

#20 ·
the reasoning behind the 14psi for now is that I cant afford PPG's right now or an STi swap...so I'm gonna play it safe to be around 320whp after that im going to shoot for the low 400's once I can afford to blow up the tranny

#21 ·
Good thinking. Thats what I thought about when I built my car. I did not want to much power that my tanny will blow. and If I was going to be going past the 300-320AWHP I was just going to sell my car and buy a STI. bigger motor better tanny. I would save money in the long run.

#24 ·
well right now the car is in the shop getting the heads done...and Im about to send out the injectors to be modded so as soon as the injectors are back the Green will be on the car and it will be on the dyno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.