Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-On Tech (EJ205 2.0L '02-05 WRX) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/)
-   -   bigger turbo on stock wrx?? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/bigger-turbo-stock-wrx-9262/)

horriblesars 10-11-2005 10:46 AM

bigger turbo on stock wrx??

guys,

can give advise whether the engine will detonate/lean/ping/break, if i were to replace the stock turbo to VF30 or VF24, without any EM and without upgrade fuel pump and injectors??

thks

slug1 10-11-2005 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=horriblesars]guys,

can give advise whether the engine will detonate/lean/ping/break, if i were to replace the stock turbo to VF30 or VF24, without any EM and without upgrade fuel pump and injectors??

thks[/QUOTE]

I am going to try to pretend you are not even asking this question, but think about it.
The upgraded turbo will add more air to the combustion chamber with out any extra fuel. So you will be running your engine super lean, and then the engine will blow up if you will.
Does this anwser your question.

If you want your car to run on a regular basis, use your head!

WRXforME 10-11-2005 01:24 PM

:tease:

insanity500 10-11-2005 01:45 PM

Here is a good guide for modding
[url]http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4007[/url]

It would be a bad idea to upgrade the turbo without EM and fuel upgrades
Also, even if you upgrade the turbo WITH supporting mods, I wouldn't do so unless you upgraded to a catless uppipe.

Vicious LSD 10-11-2005 06:43 PM

If you havent tried it and check the data logs I wouldnt say its not possible. I did the following upgrades with no problems what so ever. GTSpec Headers, GTSpec Uppipe, Fujitsubo Catback Exhaust RM01A, Invidia Downpipe, VF39, Forge Intercooler hose, Pony Express MIL Fix and a resistor for the EGT. Again I work at a Subaru dealership and the techs there are highly skilled. We even hooked up the Select Monitor(subaru scanner) and drove a few runs to make sure nothing is wrong. Car runs great and I plan to get ECUtek, modify my injectors, get a fuel pump, Electronic boost controller, and so defi gauges. My boss there says its even ok to run 16lbs of boost without engine management. ECU will compensate for the extra air unless you start messing with how many pounds your running. Mines running stock boost pressure.

horriblesars 10-11-2005 10:37 PM

!Laugh! not juz im using my head but using facts as well, one of my fren has got a vf24 dropped into his stock engine wif stock fuel pump and injectors for over a year (hes got turboback exos done and sti TMIC done), well, he data logged his engine and everyting's running fine, healthy engine, its only recently he got his ride modded further by adding a bigger turbo thus he upgraded his fuel n injectors and ecutek...

im definately using my head, coz i have some doubts on this dats y i post here to ask whether can it be done without harming my engine, if not i could have saved the trouble of asking and go straight to change the a bigger turbo..dude. :pity:

horriblesars 10-11-2005 10:40 PM

p.s my fren drives his ride on daily basis.... well, any comments? :tease:

Vicious LSD 10-12-2005 07:03 PM

I drive mine on a daily basis too.... 60 miles a day. No problems what so ever.

insanity500 10-13-2005 02:37 AM

How much boost did he run with before the new fuel equip.?

Cosmo 10-13-2005 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=horriblesars]p.s my fren drives his ride on daily basis.... well, any comments? :tease:[/QUOTE]

Your friend is making a huge mistake. As will you if you put a bigger turbo on a stock car.

horriblesars 10-13-2005 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=Cosmo]Your friend is making a huge mistake. As will you if you put a bigger turbo on a stock car.[/QUOTE]

hi cosmo, it seems in here alot of guys advise is NOT to do it, but from where i come from, some of em insist could be done plus without raising the boost... ok, i have a question, does the higher grade (RON) fuel changes the possibility of able to upgrade the turbo on stock car? down at my wrx city, RON98 is everywhere, is this the cause ??

suddenthomas 10-13-2005 09:29 PM

:tease:

Cosmo 10-20-2005 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=horriblesars]hi cosmo, it seems in here alot of guys advise is NOT to do it, but from where i come from, some of em insist could be done plus without raising the boost... ok, i have a question, does the higher grade (RON) fuel changes the possibility of able to upgrade the turbo on stock car? down at my wrx city, RON98 is everywhere, is this the cause ??[/QUOTE]

Higher octane fuel protects against knocks, so theoretically you can get away with running more boost on stock engine management. But, why subject your car to that? Sure, it's possible to put a bigger turbo on a stock car and not have engine problems. It's also possible to fall out of an airplane and not get hurt, but why chance it?

genkidama20 10-20-2005 10:47 AM

I know of...

I know of a guy who put a bigger turbo and STi injectors on '03 wrx... and he had TONS of problems with the car. It was running lean. But recently he got an EM (UTEC I believe), and it's running pretty strong now. Of course, don't know how well it will do in the long run :p

Momemtum 10-24-2005 02:20 AM

you could probably get away with doing that but why would you try? I would actually reccomend that you get a UTEC/accesport FIRST-you can get a lot more out of the stock setup with just tuning VS running a potentially dangerous setup untuned.