Bigger turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

ot65 is an unknown
Bigger turbo

I have a02 wrx that is lowered and has a full greddy exhaust and intake and i heard that if i put in bigger injectors i could go up to the vf39 was wondering if this was true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2011, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Among other things you'll need to upgrade.

How many miles? I don't recommend upgrading a turbo on a higher mileage car.
#3 Old 11-11-2011, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
Yeah 'could' being a key word. Assuming you know it would be a full retune, and retuning injectors can be a hefty task. You would lose bottom end torque as you may know, and the reason typically for going bigger is higher boost/flow on top, which can really work on your rings and typically a bigger intercooler is near necessity, so as said above I would be careful depending on how many miles you have on the car.
#4 Old 11-11-2011, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

ot65 is an unknown
currently it has 110xxx on it but my local subaru guy said that in japan on the stock wrx the vf39 came stock in japan but in america we had to go down for emmisions. wondering if anybody had heard of this.
#5 Old 11-11-2011, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ot65 View Post
currently it has 110xxx on it but my local subaru guy said that in japan on the stock wrx the vf39 came stock in japan but in america we had to go down for emmisions. wondering if anybody had heard of this.
I suggest you NEVER go to this 'Subaru guy' again. It neither came with a VF39 (or a VF anything for that matter), nor would it have been downgraded for emissions purposes. He's making up stuff to sound like he knows what he's talking about.
#6 Old 11-11-2011, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

ot65 is an unknown
I am sorry didnt mean vf39 it was just a larger turbo that gave the same type of power the vf39 does and he said i could put in a vf39 if i wanted. The td04 that in it right now runs a alot harder than it should have to if you just put in a little bit bigger turbo.
#7 Old 11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
The JDM WRX had a TD04HL-15T while we have a TD04L-13T. Slightly bigger but hardly. Certainly not VF39 equivalent.

You can upgrade the VF39 but there are other upgrades needed.
#8 Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I recommend these if you want to go with a bigger turbo:
1) Lots of money
2) Then save more money
3) Buy another car to drive while you are working on the WRX

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#9 Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

ot65 is an unknown
Thanks guys ya i have talked to a guy about putting one in and doesn't sound long or very expensive but thsnkd guys.