Subaru WRX Forum banner

Bigger Turbo?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  04paulieWRX 
#1 ·
I have a 02 with 130K the turbo just started smoking so I'm thinking its an oil seal that is starting to leak. I need a new turbo I kinda wanna get something a little bigger but don't wanna go crazy and have to mod everything else, I was hoping to get a turbo and just get it tuned. I also don't wanna start breaking everything what do you recomend?

#5 ·
I figured i wouldn't get that lucky. What do you think about a 16G and just not boosting it higer than stock? I've got a 3" turbo back & down pipe and kinda wanted to keep it like that but i guess if I have to do the fuel system too I can but would rather not its my daily driver and I wanna keep it that way and not have it turn into another project car.

#8 ·
i did and 18g on my 07 with out a fuel upgrade of course my injectors are a bit bigger then an 02. on my tune i was only running 78% injector duty on 17.5 psi with many other mods. in my opinion with a 16g and a tune on 13 psi i think you migh be fine just keep an eye out on injector duty if you were to tune it

#9 ·
You need to talk to your tuner and see what he can do for you with stock fuel system. IMO it's pointless upgrading if you're not going to "really" upgrade, if you know what I mean. I.E. supporting mods.

I would just get same turbo replacement since it seems money is an issue and get a protune with it.

#12 ·
on the same subject....can I put an 05 STI turbo on an 03 WRX?

I'm not concerned about injectors or fuel pump, I'll dish out for those, but I want to know that turbo will physcially fit into the same space as the 03 WRX turbo beforehand so I can get everything I need for one weekend project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.