Subaru WRX Forum banner

Big Turbos

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Nic17fly 
#1 ·
Hey guys and girls I have not been on for a long time due to the training of my new job that I am about to start. I am about to have a job making $27 /hr and I still got the wrx and I am going to have alot of money to start going big with the car. The only thing that I have noticed is that in all of the mags that I see a wrx in they all have swapped the ej 20 out and put in the ej 25. What I want to do is keep the engine that i have right now the ej 20 and just throw a big turbo on it. I don't really care about the turbo lag I just want to see what the ej 20 can handle. I was thinking about a gt 30 r but I am really not sure what the most bad @$$ turbo would be for the 2.0l. Thanks to everyone that reads this and posts in advance.

#2 ·
I would work on the tranny first and give yourself the peace of mind that your drive train is going to be able to handle whatever you throw at it. I would build a bulletproof bottom end next before slapping a BT on there. Assure yourself you aren't going to have a broke down ride because you just went ahead and through a bunch of boost at your car without supporting it. Definitely am looking forward to seeing the build though! Cheers!

Edit: I have read about stock bottom ends supporting 400hp+ at the crank, but for how long? Who knows.

#3 ·
I agree with stagger on this. If you have the money you say you are going to have, build it right the first time. Look up Lil Shoaf (Ken) as he has built a rather formidable car. But he had his bumps in the road with it.

#5 ·
rght now all i have is a CAI, TBE catless, and uppipe. The TBE and the uppipe I am going to take off when I get this job because it was a cheap one and I have had issues with exhaust leaks. I knew that I was going to have to built up the tranny and like you guys said it is going to be better if I do it right the first time with the bottom end as well it is going to save me money in the long run and alot of head aches. If I build this up the right way do you think the 30r will be a good turbo to run?

#7 ·
I would like to do drag racing the only thing that I was trying to do is try and squeeze out as much power that I can out of the 2.0l everyone has been telling me that I should stroke it but If I am going to stroke it wouldn't it make more sense to buy the 2.5l motor

#8 ·
If you were going to do more than drag race (Rally/AutoX) a 2.3l would be great..those are TQ monsters.

To get the most out of your EJ20 you will need to build the heads as well as the block to safely support a 30r turbo. If lag isn't a big deal go ahead and get a 35r sized turbo if you are going to build the rest of the motor

If I was to build an EJ20 Mod List (budget not in mind):

Standalone ECU
P&P Heads - with Valve upgrade, Springs, and retainers (stronger head studs)
Billet Crank with stronger bearings, rods, and pistons
Higher Flow Intake Manifold
a True 3" or 3.5" exhaust
Equal Length Headers
Wide Band O2
Solid Motor/Tranny Mounts
12mm oil pump
STI Oil Pan
Bigger front brake calibers at least
at least 850cc injectors/255lph pump to tune with E85

This is just for the motor - If you are going to drag race with a lot of power you will need to consider spending at least 5k on your tranny.

#10 ·
Spend your money on brakes,wheels/tires and suspension first.I garentee you will get tired of that GT30r.It's just not going to be fun driving around town.Smaller turboed cars are way more fun to drive on the street and for spirited driving as the boost threshold is so much lower.Get a Evo III 16G or a 7cm TDO5H-18G an you will be more than happy.

#14 ·
A 35r is laggy even on a 2.5L.I thought you wanted a 30r?If your saying "it spools" at 4100 that is pretty bad.Your basiclly saying the boost threshold is 4100rpm.Stock turbo spools around 2000rpm-2200rpm and can have 20psi by 3000rpm in 3rd gear.You can't compare two different engines and think the turbo is going to act the same on both.I-4 engines have the turbo about 12 inches away from the exhaust ports.Very little exhaust energy is lost.

#15 ·
I did want to do the 30r kit but boost buddy made it sound like if I built up my motor that I could run the 35r the reason I want to do this build is I want to make the most power that I can using the 2.0l like I said before most people just go and swap the 2.0 for the 2.5 you rarely see a good 2.0l build come to think of it I have never seen a high horsepower 2.0

#22 ·
maybe off topic...but i recently put a TD05 20g on my 04 wrx 2 litre....i dont notice the lag to be honest...im sure there is a difference from stock...but the power is so much....when i got WOT in 1st i cant shift fast enuff to keep it from hitting fuel cut....i will be going to a HTA 30r .82 :). axis block and ppgs as well....course my clutch doesnt hold the power if im in 3rd, 4th, or 5th right now...nothing i can do about it yet hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.