The big question - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
I work as a technician and the money I make in side jobs( which recently has been 4 sets of coilovers on volkswagonsyea race lands haha) I use that money for the car so it's like I'm not even touching my bank account.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Shoot, I used to / still do buy as much used as I can.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#33 Old 02-15-2014, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Well, it's been almost a year since I first asked the "big question." With a few minor setbacks I should be ready to mod by the beginning of this summer. This is my daily driver, so the timeline starts as soon as my GF's 3000GT gets its 1st gear back. That would be the 1st week it stays over 40 deg so I can put the summer tires on it and drive it to the shop. She gotta' flat on her snows and tried to keep driving on it. DERP! I need her car running so I can have my beater back and use it while I work on the Subie.

Here is my list of parts I'll need. Any advice on purchasing,installation,choices or helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. My budget is $3,000

Timing belt change; $626.22 (no water pump)
Cobb lightweight crank pulley; $135.00
Walbro fuel pump; $84.39
Borla twin tip cat back&3"adapter; $597.85,$50.00
Invidia down pipe,bellmouth,catless,1 bung; $262.50
Invidia up pipe: $147.00
Grimm Speed boost controller solenoid; $119.99
Open source tune by P&L Motorsports; $550

If I have anything left over it's going to a stock turbo rebuild/upgrade by Blouch; $400-600

Let me know what you guys think.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#34 Old 02-15-2014, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Why not do the water pump as well? Might as well get it done while the timing belt is off.
#35 Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
Why not do the water pump as well? Might as well get it done while the timing belt is off.
MONEY!!!

Besides,I looked into this very carefully. As near as I can tell, no Subaru water pump has ever failed at less than 200,000mi. Ill do it next time around.

from Unabomber's Manifesto ...
Now when you do your timing belt, there is a lot of debate about what you should do while you are in there already. Other things you can do are timing belt tensioner, oil pump, idlers, water pump, cam and crank seals. The only must replace item is the timing belt tensioner and some even forgo that. The other items are not particularly wear prone and could be replaced if you see a problem with leaking when the timing belt cover is off. Mind you, there are doom and gloomers that suggest replacing every bit under or near the timing belt cover, but rest assured...unless you see a problem, there is no dire need to replace things just for replacement's sake or you feel it's in your car's best interest.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.

Last edited by Fidrat; 02-15-2014 at 11:01 PM.