The big question - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I hope by boost controller you mean the 3-port BCS. It's not a boost controller, it's a solenoid. Anyway, have them install it. You don't want to drive it at all with that on there and stock maps, the ECU will be completely confused.
GrimmSpeed

It's this thingie,right? Electronic Boost Control Solenoid 3-Port

Not even from the parking lot to the front door?Great, have them install it for an extra charge, something I could do blind folded,left handed in the rain.

Oh well,nobody said modding was gonna' be cheap. Besides,I gotta' get a timing belt/water pump change first. That's gonna' be another gazillion bucks!

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No, you can do it out there. Most reputable tuners will not even charge you to put it in.

But that's the one you want.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Yes, I was assuming there would be no installation charge. They charge for that? You're paying them to tune the thing already...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#19 Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sorry, I really have no idea if they would charge for that. I just assumed. I've never heard of any shop doing ANYTHING for free... Bloody pirates!

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#20 Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
the shop i called charges 55 bucks for installation, and this is when getting a tune.
#21 Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

I just got an estimate on my timing belt from the only shop in town I ever let TOUCH my car. Does this sound right? Both what he said and the price.

Hello Scott,
I was forwarded your email about getting a quote on having the timing belt and water pump replaced on your WRX. I have attached a quote broken down into two parts. The first is for the timing belt replacement that includes replacing all of the front engine seals, ie front cam seals, crank shaft seal, and oil pump o-ring, timing belt, and one specific timing belt idler pulley that we see regularly. We always recommend replacing the front engine oil seals and that one specific roller while we are doing a timing belt service due to the fact there is such a high failure rate of those parts and the amount of labor saved doing them all at the same time. I then have the water pump estimated on a separate job line. Water pumps are not as common to fail on these engines as they are on others so I wouldn't say that replacement is necessary. It definitely is not a bad idea, but I wanted you to see what the break down of cost with replacing the pump and with out. The total at the bottom would be doing everything listed on the estimate with tax included.

889.06$ I can attach the pdf of the break down if necessary.

#22 Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
I charge 350 when I do them on the side at work. Includes, t-belt, timing belt tensioner, spark plugs, both other belts , complete cooling system service, diff service and alignment. How's that price sound. And add another 50 to do water pump. If only you lived closer haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#23 Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Fid, is that just for labor or both? If it's both, that's not a bad price at all.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#24 Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

That's everything plus tax including everything mentioned in his E-mail.

Without the water pump it's 626.22$ including tax. Do I REALLY need the pump? I've the been told the Subaru pump is strong.

On a side note,this shop is the "go to" shop for subies. They have had a golden opportunity to screw me over before and they didn't take it.

#25 Old 04-03-2013, 03:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Murphy's law. If u don't do the water pump, it'll fail 6 months later. Then it'll cost u another 675. Soooo an extra 200 don't sound bad while they are in there doing to timing belt

#26 Old 04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Definitely do it! He's making a little which is reasonable for a sh*++y job like that, but he's not raping you at the prices stated with the water pump IMO. And like mentioned if you don't do it it'll fail just based off Murphy's lol!

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#27 Old 04-04-2013, 03:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ok, That's it then. She's goin' into storage for the next 10 months until I can save up 889.06$. See ya' next winter.

#28 Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Ok, That's it then. She's goin' into storage for the next 10 months until I can save up 889.06$. See ya' next winter.
Really?

#29 Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSummer View Post
Really?

Yea,I don't know where all you guys get all this disposable income to dump into your cars. I get 13.75$hr working my butt off in a factory. I'm still recovering from a 7week lay off. A 900$ bill will absolutely cripple me! I might be able it swing it late this summer. Maybe I can do a few things that won't need a tune in the fall. Like the fuel pump or the cat-back if I can find a good used one.

I'm not gonna' mothball it just yet. I drive 300mi a week back and forth to work,if I only drive the Subie on Fridays and weekends (thank god for my Camry)I can keep the miles down until I can afford the belt/pump service. I also have the 90,000mi scheduled maintenance due like right now. I can do that myself but that's just another setback. The miles are about 95,000.

#30 Old 04-05-2013, 05:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

I often wondered where everyone gets the cash, then I remember.... Oh yeah, I have checks left... I must still have money... haha

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3