Best way to get your car inspected - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jdmjones is an unknown
Best way to get your car inspected

Well, my 05 was up for inspection and I was worried that it would not pass.I had forgotten than a guy I knew worked at the local dealership.I asked him and he said he wouldn't worry about the visual as long as I had no CEL's. So, my advice to you guys is that if you are worried about beating the system, see if anyone that works at the local Subaru dealership has a hooked-up Suby.Maybe he can hook you up.
Disclaimer:This was not intended to get anyone in trouble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
in most states they just hook up and obd II scanner and make sure there are no codes. as long as that fine, you dont have much to worry about. so just do the cel fixes in whatever way you prefer before you go in. ive only heard of one person getting screwed by the visual where they looked under my buddies car with a mirror to search for cats and there were none
post #3 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
So I should be able to pass with the AP? Or will i need the actual O2 sensor fix

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
post #4 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

genkidama20 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to genkidama20
COBB AP gets rid of all CEL codes. You will pass OBDII tests with flying colors.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

fast_dak is an unknown
Man, that's easy compared to VA. In VA, if you don't "know" somebody, they check quite a bit. Verify you have a cat, and it's properly working, tread on tires has so much life, has muffler, all lights work & aligned, nothing hanging from rear-view mirror, no holes in exhaust, the emissions system on the car is working (nevermind if you remove the emissions completely, it'll pass usually, lol). Basically, if it's on there, it needs to be functional, like the 3rd brake light. I've had cars fail for mis-aligned headlights, turn-signal not working, windshield wiper is rotted, bad shocks, tail-light covers (Rams head logo on my Dakota tail-lights), etc, etc. If you know someone, it's "turn your lights on, ok.. left signal, right signal.. ok.. fix that front right turn-signal, here's your sticker".
post #6 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 PM
Moe
WRXtuners Member

Moe is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Moe
well im saved. If I get a WRX and put some work into it I will pass cause my older brother works for Saturn and he does that stuff and he only charges $5.00 cause we are his fam and he used to charge my parents nothing but then his boss or someone down there found out. But on the other hand I dont have to worry about passing
post #7 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
I used to have someone like that until they slowly got STRICTER and as it went on it got worse

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
post #8 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jdmjones is an unknown
The stupidest thing I ever failed an inspection for is not having a passenger side windshield wiper.I asked the guy why does that matter?I don't drive on that side of the car.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-31-2006, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
But you still need to look out the passanger side of the windshield during normal driving.

I thought that AP just blocked the codes like UTEC, but didn't take them out of the system. I used a CEL fix for the rear o2 sensor and passed emissions and then the visual part all with no cats. I think the garage I went to didn't really look that hard since my car is pretty new.