Subaru WRX Forum banner

Best way to combat Vapour Lock

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  titter 
#1 · (Edited)
so i had my first no-start yesterday in really hot weather. after cleaning up the poop, i did some diagnostics and pretty sure its just vapour lock.

what the best way to avoid vapour lock in our cars? obviously heat from engine components is a big contributor.

i read something about modding your fuel line from series to parallel will help alot but i can only find info about it on GC and older impreza's. is this even a mod im able to do on my EJ205?

secondly, does anyone have anything bad to say about fuel system cleaners? i know most gases have detergents in them, but im wondering if there is any harmful effects. i dont really care if by opinion some think its snake oil. i mean, its pretty cheap. if i waste $8, thats fine. im more worried if it will damage any components. like seals on injectors, fuel filters, etc... considering my fuel system is 14 years old i would like to clean it out and avoid replacing the whole thing.

in the mean time, a new fuel pump and fuel filter are on the way

#2 ·
Vapor lock is a temp issue not so mucha fueling system issue. It might be worth checking your lines against a service manual or some photos of existing engine bays just to be sure your not missing any shielding. Also you might want to check into your fuel pump. Modern fuel pumps should be strong enough to combat vaporlock assuming the fuel lines are properly shielded.

I have read some on modding the fuel system for the 2011+ but Im not sure if it applies to your year.

As for fuel system cleaners I tend to recommend that people avoid them in favor of quality fuels and replacing those little bag filters on fuel pumps. If you want to flush $8-20 down the drain as a test I have always been a fan of lucas products. It is pretty nasty stuff on seals and what not so I would only add it to a nearly empty tank and plan on driving for a few hours to get it as cleared out as possible before refueling.

I think your new fuel pump and filter are the correct choice. When you get the old one out snap a few photos and post them so we can see what condition 14 year old pumps are in : )

#3 ·
i need a walbro 255 anyways, so might as well get it early :)

only heat shield thats outta place is my headers. its actually just resting on top of the header :( gotta get that replaced too before i start adding power

#5 ·
the clothespins acts as a heat sink correct? guess i'll give it a try. where should i put them? near the filer, the fpr, the rails? and should i use wood or aluminum.

currently im turning my key from on > acc back and forth a few times to prime the fuel pump and push some fuel through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.